Kitten Has Severe Diarrhea Before And While Giving Albon

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have rescued a kitten that is approx 5 mos. old (or less not sure). He originally tested positive for Toxidia (Coccidia). I had him on Albon, still didn't take care of it so we went to the Marquis (the good stuff). He started smelling bad again with runny stools so took another poop sample in which didn't show up the Coccidia, but did have a lot of bad bacteria in it. So they prescribed him Albon again. He has been on it 3 days and his stools are pure liquid. No form at all. I don't know what to do. They said (at the vet) that the Albon should be working now, but I wonder how much they really know on this very hard to treat condition at times. Can I give him anything for fiber? Would that help? Or what can I do? The poor thing can't continue like this.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure others will be along soon with more experience and advice, but you can give him a teaspoon of plain pureed pumpkin once a day (you can buy cans cheaply at the grocery store; just make sure it's plain, with no spices or anything added). I think most cats prefer to eat it mixed in with wet food, but one of my kittens eats it straight off the spoon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure others will be along soon with more experience and advice, but you can give him a teaspoon of plain pureed pumpkin once a day (you can buy cans cheaply at the grocery store; just make sure it's plain, with no spices or anything added). I think most cats prefer to eat it mixed in with wet food, but one of my kittens eats it straight off the spoon.
Thank you. I wonder if that will even dent this problem. But I'll try it. I'm wondering if all the meds didn't wipe out his good bacteria.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I wonder if that will even dent this problem. But I'll try it. I'm wondering if all the meds didn't wipe out his good bacteria.
That's possible. There are good probiotics on the market. I've never used any for my kittens, but many people on this website use FortiFlora.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's possible. There are good probiotics on the market. I've never used any for my kittens, but many people on this website use FortiFlora.
Ok thanks for letting me know the brand. I am going to get some for him.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got some good probiotics for him and some metamucil. Gave him the metamucil on his food. Waiting for awhile to give him the probiotic due to being on the Albon still. I wondered what really is going on with him. This kitten is extremely hyper acting and I would think it wouldn't feel good. It is pooping a LOT. I can't figure out what he's pooping out because he is eating normal, but it's not a lot, not like what's coming out of him which is still all liquid. I also got some Pedialyte, but have no idea how much to give him if I need to. Could anyone advise me on that please?