Kitten Has More Bald Spots. Really Worried It's Ringworm!

Cbreeze86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a pic of his nose the other day because I thought he might have ringworm but now I've noticed he has more patches and dandruff all over. Mostly top of head, ears, back legs and belly. The soonest any vet in town will get me in is a week from now so if its ringworm idk how to keep it from spreading til then! I included a photo of his head. I'm hoping it's just from the fleas he had or maybe dry skin from having to have 4 baths with Dawn soap to get rid of them! What do ya'll think? If it's ringworm what can I do to stop the spread until I get in at the vet?

Attachments

intertwangled

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have amazon prime you can order lime sulfur dip and have it delivered to you quickly. From what I understand it’s safe for kittens. Dip twice weekly (4oz or 8oz/ gallon dilution), don’t rinse. There are how-to videos online on YouTube.

I don’t know if OTC antifungals are safe for kittens so I wouldn’t use anything from the drug store without talking to a vet first.

You can also order a handheld UV blacklight from amazon (or check a local party store or Halloween store) to see if any of the hairless patches glow. Microsporum Canis tends to glow apple green but not all species of ringworm will glow. If you see a lot of apple green it’s “probably” ringworm. Other colors can indicate something else. But only a positive culture from the vet will confirm it for sure.

To be safe, I would wash hands often/ use gloves, wash clothes, bathe often, disinfect environment, quarantine, etc. and treat as though it were ringworm until you have confirmation that it’s not. It will start your timeline and reduce environmental contamination earlier.

Also see if anyone of the local vet clinics have “work in” appointments. Sometimes they will do that if you’re willing to wait in the waiting room.

Finally, in case it does turn out to be ringworm, there’s a ton of other ringworm information available on this site, and loads of support here.

I’m typing on my phone so I can’t post the link but I can try to later. :-)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds more like terribly dry skin/flea problems to me, the bald patches aren't really as 'round' as ringworm usually is. Also if you have noticed this for several days and YOU don't have it, it most likely isn't ringworm. Can up send teh pictures to a vet via E-mail? They may be able to help you sooner. Good luck!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a Farm and Country, Tractor Supply, or similar store near you? They carry cat-safe ringworm medication. Our Tractor Supply keeps fungicide in the livestock section. I go Durvet Topical Fungicide when we had a small outbreak a month ago. I sprayed it on everything I could not wash and all of the cats. That should be a start while you wait for the vet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be fleas or mites. Have you tried Frontline Plus on the back of the neck?