Kitten Has Massive Swelling On Neck

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep her indoors and GET her to a vet. Did you look at any of the possible financial options jen jen provided you with? Can you talk to the general manager who was interested in her?

You just have to do what you can to get her to a vet, or you are going to be dealing with a whole lot more health issues and costs to correct them. I am sorry, but with something like this - in top of her being outside to get into any kind of dirt/filth/etc. - she could easily die from an infection if not treated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it scabbed over fine for last 2 days but all sudden shes been actin standoffish and she scratched it off again now wounds fully open again and its wet around her neck wish i didnt take off the bandage ill try the paper plate cone for now not sure how well itwill work given she goes outside alot
She needs to stay inside until it heals. And she really needs to see a vet now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
whats funny is her older brother by 3 months is licking i non stop he obviously notices she has a wound and he keeps licking it non stop for like 10 minutes

uh ohh i just stopped him from licking it didnt know he did it that hard he basically licked the whole scab off and its wet again

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let him lick it, that is just going to become massively infected...

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not let him lick it, that is just going to become massively infected...

yeah i wont again but my god i kept pulling him away and he was aggressively trying to get back to her neck to lick it was like an instinct thing for him to try and clean it or something

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
yeah i wont again but my god i kept pulling him away and he was aggressively trying to get back to her neck to lick it was like an instinct thing for him to try and clean it or something
It is instinct. The wound has to stay open to allow the bacteria out. It is instinct to clean wounds and all cats have are their tongues. Problem is that tongues have bacteria and they are just as likely to damage it as help.

You need to keep it clean and open until it finishes draining, 5-7 days. She needs a cone to keep from causing further damage. She needs to be kept inside to limit external bacteria or factors that could damage it worse. You need to clean it multiple times a day and encourage draining with a warm compress. She should see a vet at this point for proper treatment. If you can't get her to a vet and you don't care for it she is at serious risk of an infection.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good for it to drain. But cat's mouths are germy. YOU need to keep it clean and open. Wash the scab off every day until it's done draining.

Really, this could all be over with in a couple days if you'd just get her to the vet for antibiotics. But if you won't do that, you really need to keep it clean and draining! Don't let it close up again!

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
man it starting to spread now on the otherside of the kittens neck its swollen like the original it isnt draining anymore on the side that she first had the swelling

i wonder if i could possibly buy some antibiotics online i called all the pet stores here to ask but they said no i just cant afford a 130 dollar vet bill atm. im tempted to poke it with a needle and let it slowly drain if it gets worse so it wont spread to her throat area i think it started to spread by the other cat outside licking her constantly

i think the original infection happened cause her older brother kept trying to hold her down by her neck he just hit maturity and tried to hump on her a few times i stopped him right away everytime i saw him try but im sure thats how it started and the fact he keeps trying to lick it and licked her scab off completely then it spread

given the situation u seriously dont think i should try and poke it with a needle and peroxide to help drain?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poking it with a needle will introduce outside bacteria. You don't know what veins or nerves you could hit. You are more likely to make it worse then help. Just like you aren't supposed to cut open blisters or wounds on a person, you aren't supposed to cut open your cat. Do not poke her, cut her, or otherwise attempt to force it to drain.

We gave home care directions to help without a vet. But it is getting worse and she *needs* a vet. You are past any home care with how it sounds like it is spreading. Do not buy antibiotics online. It is a controlled substance and anything you can actually find might be too low dosage, too high or the wrong type. If you give her the wrong type of antibiotic you are adding to the problem even more.

I know how hard it can be with money being tight. You've been given advice on that too. At the very least, call around and explain your situation. You might find a sympathic vet near you who can do payment plans or help.

If this was caused by early mating attempts, you also need to get everyone spayed/neutered or you will very shortly find yourself with even more cats.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're going to have to figure out how to get her to a vet, or surrender her to a shelter. There isn't any other option at this point.

Keep in mind that it's illegal for a pet owner to refuse to provide vet care when necessary, and even if enforcement is lax in your state, you never know when they'll decide to make an example of you. You could end up with more problems than a sick cat.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please - your best bet could be to surrender her to a vet. The vet can then take care of her properly. At this point, the infection and bacteria are likely spreading. Plus she is probably in pain, too, and if so -- soon she will not feel like eating. Things will just keep going downhill if you do not get this kitten professional care.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What don't you understand about all the suggestions to get the poor cat to a vet? The cat can get further infections in the wound site. Drainage does not guarantee a cure. Please tae her to a vet. Surrender her if you can not pay for the treatment. The cat's life may very well depend on getting proper treatment with antibiotics, stitches, further drainage. But what is required for her treatment is past the judgement of a layman.

Please take the cat to a vet, matt1991 matt1991 !

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Resources on how to find low cost vet care have been posted in this thread. Please contact the organizations to get your cat the veterinary care he needs.

I see you are in Union, MS. There is a low cost vet clinic (which will neuter wild cats btw for $10 or pet cats for $50-60) about an hour from you. There is also a transport program for people living 45 min from Meridian to help transport your animal to the vet to get neutered.

Mississippi Spay and Neuter

Big Fix Clinic- 601-420-2438

Big Fix Clinic Transport Program- for clients who live within 45 minutes of Meridian. 601-420-2438

MARL Voucher Program- 601-969-1631

You may qualify for this program if you receive any of the following:
Medicaid, Medicare
VA Disability
Social Security Disability
Current Unemployment Benefits
Social Security Retirement
Food Stamps
Aid to dependent Children

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
matt1991 matt1991 If you can't afford a vet bill, try calling your local veterinarian, explain your situation and ask them if they will let you pay the bill slowly a bit at a time.

Here are some veterinarians I found that you could try:

Till-Newell Animal Hospital - Veterinarian in Meridian, MS US

Meridian Animal Clinic | Meridian, Mississippi 39307 > Home

Meridian Animal Care Center And Riverbirch Animal Care Center - Veterinarian In Meridian, MS USA :: Home

https://www.poplarcarneyvet.com/

Welcome to Adams Veterinary Medicine & Surgery Center

Carney Iii, A P, Dvm - Animal Medical Supply Meridian

Or, you could contact a rescue group or your local animal control to ask for help. If you tell them your situation they may be able to find someone to help you. Here are the ones I found near you:
Lauderdale County

East Mississippi Animal Rescue Meridian Mississippi

You can enter your zip code here: Search For Animal Welfare Groups | Petfinder to find other animal rescues/shelters near you.

Sadly, if you don't find a way to either surrender your kitty to someone who can get her to a vet or get her to a vet yourself for treatment, these problems will just continue to happen (and she could die). :( All your cats also need to be spayed/neutered to prevent issues such as unwanted/unneeded kittens or attempting mating resulting in injury (as you have already seen).

If after you get your injured kitty vetted and are looking to get your cats spayed/neutered, there should be a low cost program near you that you could use to get the surgery done at a discounted fee, or even free. Just ask your local vet/animal control/rescue and they can guide you. You could also try to find somewhere by entering your zip code here:
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs

And remember, we are here to help! Best wishes for you and your kitty.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well got great news a month ago i had contacted a lady who takes cats and dogs in my area and helps relocate them i showed her pics of her and told her the situation and shes gonna take her this saturday or sunday

i had contacted her a month ago and she lost my number sadly so i messaged her yesterday so im glad that she will get good help and a good home

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
matt1991 matt1991 If you can't afford a vet bill, try calling your local veterinarian, explain your situation and ask them if they will let you pay the bill slowly a bit at a time.

Here are some veterinarians I found that you could try:

Till-Newell Animal Hospital - Veterinarian in Meridian, MS US

Meridian Animal Clinic | Meridian, Mississippi 39307 > Home

Meridian Animal Care Center And Riverbirch Animal Care Center - Veterinarian In Meridian, MS USA :: Home

https://www.poplarcarneyvet.com/

Welcome to Adams Veterinary Medicine & Surgery Center

Carney Iii, A P, Dvm - Animal Medical Supply Meridian

Or, you could contact a rescue group or your local animal control to ask for help. If you tell them your situation they may be able to find someone to help you. Here are the ones I found near you:
Lauderdale County

East Mississippi Animal Rescue Meridian Mississippi

You can enter your zip code here: Search For Animal Welfare Groups | Petfinder to find other animal rescues/shelters near you.

Sadly, if you don't find a way to either surrender your kitty to someone who can get her to a vet or get her to a vet yourself for treatment, these problems will just continue to happen (and she could die). :( All your cats also need to be spayed/neutered to prevent issues such as unwanted/unneeded kittens or attempting mating resulting in injury (as you have already seen).

If after you get your injured kitty vetted and are looking to get your cats spayed/neutered, there should be a low cost program near you that you could use to get the surgery done at a discounted fee, or even free. Just ask your local vet/animal control/rescue and they can guide you. You could also try to find somewhere by entering your zip code here:
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs

And remember, we are here to help! Best wishes for you and your kitty.
my main male cat is fixed the other 3 cats i had were due to a stray cat having kittens under my house so i helped take care of them and couldnt find them all homes sadly

but i do take good care of them i had to pay 400 dollars for my main cat in my profile pic months back due to a dog attack from outside at my old house. so it isnt like i was being cheap and didnt care iv spent over a thousand on my boy alone in medical bills ect in his 3 year life

im glad i have found her a home now though i move around quite a bit and can only really take care of 1 i only meant to have my boy but a cat had kittens as is aid and i just felt horrible to know they would grow up hungry and wild not having a chance in life so i took them in too bad they first litter got to big to where nobody wanted them now so i have to keep them

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my main male cat is fixed the other 3 cats i had were due to a stray cat having kittens under my house so i helped take care of them and couldnt find them all homes sadly

but i do take good care of them i had to pay 400 dollars for my main cat in my profile pic months back due to a dog attack from outside at my old house. so it isnt like i was being cheap and didnt care iv spent over a thousand on my boy alone in medical bills ect in his 3 year life

im glad i have found her a home now though i move around quite a bit and can only really take care of 1 i only meant to have my boy but a cat had kittens as is aid and i just felt horrible to know they would grow up hungry and wild not having a chance in life so i took them in too bad they first litter got to big to where nobody wanted them now so i have to keep them
I'm glad your injured kitty will be getting some help!! Is there any way the lady could take her sooner?

That's great that you care about your cats. I mean, you obviously do or you wouldn't have posted here!

But it really is vital that you get your other cats fixed too. :) If you follow the tips I posted you can find a way to have it done for cheap or if someone will cover it for you, free. :cool2:

Keep us updated! :goodluck:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I am glad she is going to get some medical care. It sounds like everything is working out.