Kitten Has Bad Breath

taj1107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! New here and new to world of cats. First time owner. My new kitty, gifted to me anonymously, is about 6-8 months old. His breath is awful! The vet said he has no signs of gum disease and suggested that it could be his diet but that’s as far as she checked. Well he has been on solid food now for 4 weeks with an occasional can of wet mixed in and his breath is still bad. Fishy type morning breath smell. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get rid of that?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome! What types of foods does he eat? Obviously, fish based foods, as well as liver based foods - including treats and/or supplements can cause bad breath. Other causes usually point toward health issues. Dental treats and even toothbrushing (with a cat specific toothpaste) can help, if it is not related to a health issue. And, I suppose there are cats that just have bad breath - perhaps genetically?

I am not trying to scare you but I am including a link below that talks about possible causes, just so you are aware of them. It doesn't mean any of them apply, but at least you talk to your vet to see if she thinks any of them might worth testing for.
Halitosis: Bad Breath in Cats

I am sure other members will come along soon and provide you some first hand information about their cat's bad breath!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taj1107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8C2A6649-E4B8-4C6D-A3A1-18BD55BA0666.jpeg 907FDF23-D024-491D-83B0-8324831DBFEE.jpeg We visited the vet yesterday. Fozzy is a 7-8 month old kitten with gingivitis. All genetic. He has no plaque or tarter build up. He was negative for feline lukemia and AIDS. There’s nothing that can really be done. Just try to brush though she doubts he will allow it at this age. Try chew treats and oral rinses. He will have a lifetime of dental issues. Oh well. There could be worse problems.

This is a third visit to a vet and I feel the best about this one. Fozzy has been an intriguing hit at every vet and his groomer. They like to guess at what he is. Yesterday was a first as they thought he may have some “munchkin” kitty in him. I didn’t even know what that was. So this clinics determination is Maine Coon, Persian, and possibly a munchkin mix. LOL! He’s the best no matter what he is.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats developed gingivitis at 5 months and tested negative. She is now 3.5 years old and her gingivitis has not changed at all so dont presume that it will get worse and he will have problems, he may be lucky.
If he wont allow you to brush, put some pet toothpaste on the end of a damp cotton bud and gently rub it on his gums, once he gets used to that you might be able to use a brush. The secret is to go slowly. He is a handsome little boy.