Kitten Has A Never Ending Cold?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve had this foster kitten, Buttons, since he was two weeks old. He is now 15 weeks old. All of his siblings were fixed and adopted out a 1.5 months ago, but he didn’t weigh enough, so he stayed with me.

Anyway, a different pair of kittens that I had fostered along with button’s siblings were up for adoption at the shelter, but caught a cold. They asked me to bring them back to my house to recover. I put them in a separate room. Buttons stayed in a different room on a completely different floor. I constantly washed my hands and yet somehow, both my resident cat and Buttons caught it about 4-5 weeks ago.

My resident cat got better within a few days. The pair of sick kittens got better within a week, and have since been adopted. Buttons was put on Clavamox and Clindamycin 4 weeks ago along with some l-lysine supplements. At first, it was bad. Greenish mucus running out of his nose, stuffy nose, and lots of sneezing. Then, after a week of that, he got significantly better, but was still sneezing clear mucus. He’s been sneezing clear mucus for two weeks now. On Saturday, he barely sneezed. Sunday he was sneezing noticeably more. And yesterday he barely sneezed again! His last round of meds is supposed to end on Friday, but I don’t know whether he’s getting better or worse! I’ve never had a foster kitten that had a cold for so long!

Has anyone had this happen? Do you guys think it’s still a cold? Thoughts of allergies or even litter dust in his nose are crossing my mind... like maybe it’s not a cold anymore. Do you think this could be a possibility? The vet has looked him over multiple times. I don’t know what to do anymore! I want him to be young enough to find his forevor home easily, so I want him him to get better asap.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toad has the same issue. She's been getting Convenia shots, which have been helping, but I don't know of any magic bullet for fixing it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For both of you, it's possible this is not just a simple URI (cold) but more. Have either of these little ones had a culture done? That's the first thing I would do, because certain antibiotics work with certain bacteria. If the wrong one is used, it won't necessarily work :sigh:

Maybe there is something in this thread you might find helpful: Chronic Uri

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen this quite often in kittens who were not as healthy, or grew a bit slower than sibs, or off to a rough start, flea infested causing anemia, things like this.
They sometimes have to actually grow out of it as their immune systems strengthen and mature.
Mrsgreenjeens is correct in that antibiotics specific to the actual virus are much more effective.

One note, I have found that quite often for kits like your foster, azithromycin seems to work much better than clav or clind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the responses! His sneezing has gotten a lot better. I didn’t change anything, I just kept him on Clavamox and clindamycin. He is still sneezing though, so I have a vet appointment for him tomorrow to see what’s going on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the vet took another blood sample just in case something was compromising his immune system, but luckily it was all clear. She told me to continue Clavamox and Clindamycin until he is not sneezing. I think that is the best option as well because he is sneezing less and less every day so I think he’s going to be fine!

jaxthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some research shows that probiotics can help not just with gut health but also immunity. Can't hurt to sprinkle some in his food! My guy had a reaction to the pet stuff at the vet, so we use Culturelle. I break a capsule and mix with his wet food. Just an idea :)