Kitten hair

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have this lovely kitten that turns 1 soon but her fur loss is crazy. I know that kittens loose kitten hair a lot so that makes sense, but in comparison to her kitten brother, who barely loses any hair its nuts. I also very much realize that she has a very different fur type. Her fur is very dense and fluffy, literally like a sheep. Her bro got that usual soft shiny hair. What could I do about the fur loss? How can I reduce it? (the brush is after thoroughly brushing her fur 3 times) Im aware brushing her every helps but I need something more efficient. Also she is very healthy, no problems, happy as ever

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with dense fur like that usually have an undercoat, or dense layer of fur under the longer sparser top coat. Not unusual to shed more in that case. My big male has about three times that amount with a few brush strokes, I have a mound of fur that fill a Walmart sack half full. I can almost make another cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats with dense fur like that usually have an undercoat, or dense layer of fur under the longer sparser top coat. Not unusual to shed more in that case. My big male has about three times that amount with a few brush strokes, I have a mound of fur that fill a Walmart sack half full. I can almost make another cat!
:shocked: so what can I do to reduce the loss? And also how come she gets different fur, theyre from the same moma cat

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't have any advice to reduce the loss. A female cat be impregnated by different male cats in the same litter of kittens. The difference is probably different fathers.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't have any advice to reduce the loss. A female cat be impregnated by different male cats in the same litter of kittens. The difference is probably different fathers.
No it was a planned pregnancy, we know who the dad is lol. Both cats are british short hair cats (though the mother is more of a mix of british and smth else)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm sure it is just how the genes came together for each kitten. Each one is unique. Unless your kitten is getting thin spots, I wouldn't worry about it. just a quick brush through a couple of times a week to get rid of excess. the fur loss may go down with age and the permanent hair comes in. If you live in a warmer region and she has the undercoat for a colder region, dense undercoat from those genes, it is perfectly normal for her to lose a bunch.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm sure it is just how the genes came together for each kitten. Each one is unique. Unless your kitten is getting thin spots, I wouldn't worry about it. just a quick brush through a couple of times a week to get rid of excess. the fur loss may go down with age and the permanent hair comes in. If you live in a warmer region and she has the undercoat for a colder region, dense undercoat from those genes, it is perfectly normal for her to lose a bunch.
Im glad that its normal and all but I cant pet her without having to wash my hand off her fur after just one stroke, so Ij wish there would be smth to reduce the hair loss but oh well

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There IS something, I can't remember what, to give orally that reduces shedding a bunch on the internet. but be sure to ask your vet about it first! it's been out long enough to have reviews. amazon has a shed-X for cats (make sure it is for cats) that has reviews you could ask your vet about. It says it is all natural.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I
There IS something, I can't remember what, to give orally that reduces shedding a bunch on the internet. but be sure to ask your vet about it first! it's been out long enough to have reviews. amazon has a shed-X for cats (make sure it is for cats) that has reviews you could ask your vet about. It says it is all natural.
I just checked it out, my cats are allergic to fish so Ill have to dig deeper, maybe they have something without fish. Though I doubt it, but thanks for the suggestion!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A comb can work better than a brush for dense fur. Combing every day to get the loose fur out can help reduce the amount that’s just floating around.
I use a comb with round metal teeth. The teeth are spaced further apart than the bristles on a brush so they get all the way through to the undercoat instead of just skimming the loose hair off the surface.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A comb can work better than a brush for dense fur. Combing every day to get the loose fur out can help reduce the amount that’s just floating around.
I use a comb with round metal teeth. The teeth are spaced further apart than the bristles on a brush so they get all the way through to the undercoat instead of just skimming the loose hair off the surface.
Ooh I never thought about that, thanks Ill see what I can do!