Kitten grooming

gunther123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A kitten showed up at my door and I'm guessing he is about 4 weeks old. He eats fine and drinks fine (although he seemed shocked the 1st time he touched the water in his bowl the first time). He has also figured out what the litter box is for. This is day 3 of being in his new home and I haven't seen him groom himself once. Is this something that is done instinctively or do I need to show him how?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he seem dirty/how often do you have eyes on him? Might he be grooming when you are not around? 

In all honesty, I've never had to teach a cat or kitten to groom itself so I am not sure how you'd begin... I hope others will chime in soon! If he truly is just 4 weeks he might just be too young to have started- I feel like kittens usually start grooming one another/themselves around 5 weeks in my experience. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunther123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He seems clean and is in my lap about 20 hours a day. Still I suppose he could. Be grooming himself when he's not with me. I, too, thought he might just be too young to have started grooming.