Kitten Got Into Pasta Sauce

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was in the middle of doing the dishes when I had to go help a family member with something. I cam back to Jasper on the stove, licking up the pasta sauce and cheese that was left in the pan I hadn’t washed yet. I was shocked because he’s never gotten up there before and I didn’t even think he could, the counter is so high up. I took him down immediately but I don’t know how much he ate.
What should I do?

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, he might have diarrhea. But the only thing directly bad in pasta sauce I can think of would be the onion and garlic, and doubt he consumed enough to cause him problems. Just keep an eye on him and his litter box for a few days. And tell him cats don't eat Italian. My cats would get into leftover pizza now and then with no lasting harm done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it had a few sprinkles of garlic powder but other than that it was just Parmesan, fresh tomatoes, and basil. I’ll keep an eye on him.
How do I keep him off the stove? I tried moving the table he launched himself up their from, but he still got up onto the counter. This time I was there to stop him, but I’m not very sure what to do to deter him.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well there are a host of ideas. Double sided sticky tape where he is likely to land. Tin foil (this did not work for me, tin foil is now one of Homer's favorite toys) Shake a can of pennies and say no. I have successfully left the counter with a layer of water on it and then deliberately tempted them to jump up, and then they get their paws wet, and jump down. You want to make it an unpleasant place without you being the bad guy. Also cats like to see where they can't see. Homer has a giant shelf that leads to ramp that will take him to the very top of the cabinets. He can sit on top of the cabinets near the ceiling and watch what I am doing on the counters. This makes him happy and he stays off the counter. So try giving him a place to sit where he can see the tops of the counters, like a cat tree or a stool.

How to Keep Your Cat Off the Kitchen Counters