Kitten gorging on water/food

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. We have an 8month old kitten who about once a week, eats, drinks, proceeds to parkour around the house immediately after, then drinks some more. This of course is resulting in her just opening her mouth and water comes spewing out. It's pure water with maybe a single piece of food. She's not heaving at all, she'll just be running and a spray of water comes rushing out. I haven't noticed her drinking more than usual on any other day, just when she's flying around the house.

Does anyone know if restricting her food with help? We can't necessarily restrict water, we have a dog and another cat. She doesn't bother the other cat's food very often, so I'm thinking a slow feeder might help?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have much to offer, but would suggest to you that this doesn't seem to be related to eating too fast - which usually results in regurgitation (immediately throwing up the food that was just eaten). Since no amount of food is coming out with the water, maybe she is overloading her belly with too much water? Does she eat dry food only? If so, it might make her thirsty and feeding her canned food might help with that - as well as reducing the amount of water she drinks overall since most canned foods are at least 75% water.

How this would only happen once a week, I am not sure. But, you might consider consulting with a vet about the fact that it appears to happen when she is running shortly after eating/drinking. If she is a lap cat or a 'cuddle-r', you could think about restricting her activity for 15 minutes or so after she eats. Has she always done this, or is this a new thing?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Does she eat dry food only? If so, it might make her thirsty and feeding her canned food might help with that - as well as reducing the amount of water she drinks overall since most canned foods are at least 75% water.
Great minds think alike, that was my first thought too! :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned you also have another cat and dog. Do you let the cats drink out of the same water bowl as the dog?