Kitten goes nuts when I’m on my phone or playing my switch

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old kitten named Biscuit. I got her when she was around 10 weeks old. For the most part she’s been so amazing (she slept with me her first night home, was so sweet!) Handles the vet like a dream, holds back her claws and teeth (for the most part lol). Is not TOO crazy overall. However. If I am on my phone or play on my switch she pounces on my arms, hugs them and tries to bite. For her credit she does not draw blood but it still hurts a bit. What Ive been doing is freezing till she stops and gets bored, or leaving the room if she persists. Still not much change. My question is, is this just a kitten behavior that she’ll eventually grow out of? And is there any other suggestions on how I could approach teaching her I don’t like this behavior? I know its all clearly play. She doesn't growl or hiss and her ears are in play mode. Tackling my arm looks the same as when shes going at one of her toys.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also want to note that getting a second kitten is not something I am able to do.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
is this just a kitten behavior that she’ll eventually grow out of?
Yes and maybe no. Your energy changes when your on your phone of playing games. Intense, focused, excited, and she wants in on the fun. At her age she probably has endless energy and is trying to play. Try a play session brefore you get on your phone or switch and take play breaks with her. She's similar to a 10yr human.

You're handling the biting well. I'd add a high pitched EEP or OWW, or a hiss when she bites. She's treating you the way she would another cat. Get her some kicker toys. Keep some next to you so you can give her one before she goes for you.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! And yes I play with her alot. I am currently out of a job so literally spend every day with her. Thing is even if im just texting or reading on the phone with no sound she will jump up. I have tried the hissing and she completely ignores that. I do the loud OW too if the bite or scratch is a little TOO hard. Whats funny is how she’s not like this when I’m on my ipad. And thank you Neely for the links I will definitely look into those!!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats, Casper and Elliot both become attention hounds when we pay attention to things other than them. Casper will climb up on the TV stand and walk in front of the screen while we watch movies or TV shows. Elliot will jump up on the sofa, next to me, and lay on the remote control. He knows what the "thing" that we use to control the TV is and he knows that, if he lays on it, we'll have to go through him to get it.

Basically, they are saying, "Why are you paying attention to that box-thing?" They want to see what you are up to and they want to be part of the action. Both of them understand that the TV makes pictures and they will occasionally watch the TV if there is something interesting for them to see. Casper likes to watch "Videos for Cats" that show birds and squirrels or other small critters. Elliot likes to watch anything that shows other cats.

The way we handle this behavior is to pay attention to the cat(s) for a minute until they settle down and be quiet. We give them lots of petting and "good kitty" loving. They'll purr and circle around until they find a comfy spot. Then they'll lay down for some quiet time, watching TV together. Sometimes, we'll put on something that the cats like to watch. (Bird videos for Casper or cat videos for Elliot.)

The cats will settle next to us for some quality time for fifteen minutes or so then they'll get up and go about their business for a while. The cycle repeats two or three times throughout the evening... Attention-seeking. Petting. Circling. Quality time. Get up. Repeat.

We also toss a toy mouse or get out a feather toy and play with them during one or more of these cycles.

Basically, cats have the mentality of a three-year old child. Their world revolves around them and you often have to treat them like one might treat a toddler..."Me! Me! Me!" While it's important to give your toddler/cat they attention they need, it's also important to teach them the balance between "Quality Time" and "Alone Time."

When cats agitate for attention, give them their due but not at the expense of teaching them when it's okay for "Quality Time" and when you need "Alone Time."

Bottom Line: "I'll love you any time but not ALL THE TIME!" ;) ;) ;)

As for the scratching and biting. Our cats ARE allowed to rough house with humans but only according to "House Rules." If they play too rough, they get "Three Strikes." Once they strike out, playtime stops. We say, "Game OVER!" then we walk away.

When the cats have had enough, they'll either walk away or they'll lay down and roll over. We consider that as the cat's way of saying "Game Over." Whether it be human or cat, in this house, the "Game Over" signal must always be respected.

Cats can learn the House Rules, pretty quickly, if you are consistent in enforcing them :)

Last edited:

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats, Casper and Elliot both become attention hounds when we pay attention to things other than them. Casper will climb up on the TV stand and walk in front of the screen while we watch movies or TV shows. Elliot will jump up on the sofa, next to me, and lay on the remote control. He knows what the "thing" that we use to control the TV is and he knows that, if he lays on it, we'll have to go through him to get it.

Basically, they are saying, "Why are you paying attention to that box-thing?" They want to see what you are up to and they want to be part of the action. Both of them understand that the TV makes pictures and they will occasionally watch the TV if there is something interesting for them to see. Casper likes to watch "Videos for Cats" that show birds and squirrels or other small critters. Elliot likes to watch anything that shows other cats.

The way we handle this behavior is to pay attention to the cat(s) for a minute until they settle down and be quiet. We give them lots of petting and "good kitty" loving. They'll purr and circle around until they find a comfy spot. Then they'll lay down for some quiet time, watching TV together. Sometimes, we'll put on something that the cats like to watch. (Bird videos for Casper or cat videos for Elliot.)

The cats will settle next to us for some quality time for fifteen minutes or so then they'll get up and go about their business for a while. The cycle repeats two or three times throughout the evening... Attention-seeking. Petting. Circling. Quality time. Get up. Repeat.

We also toss a toy mouse or get out a feather toy and play with them during one or more of these cycles.

Basically, cats have the mentality of a three-year old child. Their world revolves around them and you often have to treat them like one might treat a toddler..."Me! Me! Me!" While it's important to give your toddler/cat they attention they need, it's also important to teach them the balance between "Quality Time" and "Alone Time."

When cats agitate for attention, give them their due but not at the expense of teaching them when it's okay for "Quality Time" and when you need "Alone Time."

Bottom Line: "I'll love you any time but not ALL THE TIME!" ;) ;) ;)

As for the scratching and biting. Our cats ARE allowed to rough house with humans but only according to "House Rules." If they play too rough, they get "Three Strikes." Once they strike out, playtime stops. We say, "Game OVER!" then we walk away.

When the cats have had enough, they'll either walk away or they'll lay down and roll over. We consider that as the cat's way of saying "Game Over." Whether it be human or cat, in this house, the "Game Over" signal must always be respected.

Cats can learn the House Rules, pretty quickly, if you are consistent in enforcing them :)
Thank you for all this! I do think she’s starting to get it very slowly. On occassion instead of jumping on me while im on the phone she comes up and meows. I make sure to reward that kind of “asking” haha. Just trying to teach her its ok to get my attention just not with pouncing and biting lol.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just trying to teach her its ok to get my attention just not with pouncing and biting lol.
Perfect! :cool:

Do you allow your cat to rough house? I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't. If you accept the risk, that's fine by me as long as everybody, cats and humans, are on the same page. Just stick to your House Rules, whichever way you choose.

If your House Rules say that rough play is not allowed, whenever she tries to wrestle with you, gently reject her. Don't give her the attention. Push her off and say, "No!" or even get up and leave if you have to.

Cats learn by repetition, just like kids. The difference is that kids can talk and understand language but cats can't. With a kid, you can say, "No wrestling in the house!" You can't do that with cats. You have to say it with actions, not words. When you do, your actions must be absolutely consistent. Cats can only understand single words or short phrases. You might be able to teach them the meaning of things like "No bite!" or "Play nice!"

If you stick to your guns, enforcing House Rules, in a firm but fair manner with absolute consistency, most cats will learn to obey fairly quickly. :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you both! And yes I play with her alot. I am currently out of a job so literally spend every day with her. Thing is even if im just texting or reading on the phone with no sound she will jump up. I have tried the hissing and she completely ignores that. I do the loud OW too if the bite or scratch is a little TOO hard. Whats funny is how she’s not like this when I’m on my ipad. And thank you Neely for the links I will definitely look into those!!
I don't think hissing generally works, yet it's recommended a lot.

Try the high-pitched EEP! The first time it might sound like you going, "eep-eep-EEEP-EEP!" (Think of the pitch of a dog squeezing when injured.) She's likely going to look at you like you're insane.

It does sound like she wants your attention rather than that little box having your attention. Giving her things to do like moving her food to treat puzzles can be helpful too. Or throwing some cat TV on to your phone when you're on your switch for example.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our little one, Elliot, like to play the "Mouse Game" on my iPad.

His high score is over 100! :cool:

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perfect! :cool:

Do you allow your cat to rough house? I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't. If you accept the risk, that's fine by me as long as everybody, cats and humans, are on the same page. Just stick to your House Rules, whichever way you choose.

If your House Rules say that rough play is not allowed, whenever she tries to wrestle with you, gently reject her. Don't give her the attention. Push her off and say, "No!" or even get up and leave if you have to.

Cats learn by repetition, just like kids. The difference is that kids can talk and understand language but cats can't. With a kid, you can say, "No wrestling in the house!" You can't do that with cats. You have to say it with actions, not words. When you do, your actions must be absolutely consistent. Cats can only understand single words or short phrases. You might be able to teach them the meaning of things like "No bite!" or "Play nice!"

If you stick to your guns, enforcing House Rules, in a firm but fair manner with absolute consistency, most cats will learn to obey fairly quickly. :)
The only kind of rough housing i did before her spay (she’s just about done now so I’ll be starting again) was lots of energetic chase of a feather toy.
The thing with pushing her off and saying no I think she sees that as more play as she gets even more excited. I do try to couple actions with words though in hopes that one day it will click lol.

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think hissing generally works, yet it's recommended a lot.

Try the high-pitched EEP! The first time it might sound like you going, "eep-eep-EEEP-EEP!" (Think of the pitch of a dog squeezing when injured.) She's likely going to look at you like you're insane.

It does sound like she wants your attention rather than that little box having your attention. Giving her things to do like moving her food to treat puzzles can be helpful too. Or throwing some cat TV on to your phone when you're on your switch for example.
Yeah i think you guys are right about the attention thing. I just find it fascinating that she does this with just the game console and my phone but not my ipad lol

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat demands attention and gets in my face, sometimes gently nipping my hand of my cell when I’m on the phone. He just wants all the attention.

I suggest you grab a wand toy every time you are on the phone for a bit. 🤷🏻‍♀️

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat demands attention and gets in my face, sometimes gently nipping my hand of my cell when I’m on the phone. He just wants all the attention.

I suggest you grab a wand toy every time you are on the phone for a bit. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I have considered this one haha

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but I also meant wrestling with your hands. Many people don't like it when a cat learns to play rough with hands. There are many gotchas involved with letting cats wrestle with hands. To me, it's part of what it means to have a cat. If you don't want your cat to play rough with hands, don't teach it hand play in the first place.

I know what you mean about the cat thinking that being pushed off is like playing. At first, when our young one, Elliot, was still earning the privilege to sleep in bed with the humans, he got picked up and put down on the floor, a lot.

Elliot used to come into bed, wanting to play but you'd tell him, "Not now," then push him off. If that doesn't work, he gets picked up, put out of the bed and put onto the floor. If that doesn't work, he gets put out of the room with the door shut. I don't think it was more than a week or so before he started to figure it out.

Now, when it's time to go to bed, we'll play the "Hand Under the Blanket Game" for a few minutes before he either has to lay down and be quiet or go some place else. Most of the time, he lays with me for a short time, until I fall asleep, then he goes and lays in the hallway by the bedroom door. Sometimes, I'll wake up with him sleeping at the foot of the bed.

Tone of voice has a lot to do with it, too. Both cats understand, maybe, a dozen words. I don't know, exactly. I haven't made an official count. They do understand words like "Cookie" (a code word for treat) and "Tuna" (a code word for canned cat food) but they more understand the tone that you say things in. Try saying "Cookie" with a different tone of voice. The cat will know the word but you'll still see a confused expression or posture about the cat because your voice is different.

The same goes with teaching. Actions and words are important but the way you say things is also important. You can get a cat to respond to you, pretty well, if you just talk to it in a consistent but supportive tone of voice like the way a grade school teacher teaches spelling at the blackboard. You always need to be consistent but you also need to be positive and supportive.