kitten getting spayed tomorrow, very nervous !

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all !! my 7mo old kitten is getting spayed tomorrow and i’m very nervous, we have to take all food off her by 10pm tonight as she is in early tomorrow morning, we have everything prepared for her, donut cones, a body suit etc and a crate incase she gets too active so she doesn’t hurt herself as her favourite thing is climbing lol even got her a nice heat pad and everything so she’s super comfy and relaxed but i’m just so nervous ! she’s my first pet and i’ve never had to go through something like this, i worry about everything lol so obviously this is another thing my brain has chosen to stress over :lol: so if anyone can put my mind at ease that’d be great :lol::hearthrob:
B4F5A434-581E-4E19-AF88-BBAA3B8E75B5.jpeg

thought i’d include this pic of how she is rn, curled up in her bed sat next to me :hearthrob:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is lovely, such a shiny coat. Its good you are having her spayed, better for her. I should imagine your vet has performed this operation many many times. Some cats act as if nothing has been done, others are quiet and sleepy for the rest of the day. You sound very prepared for the care needed post operation in stopping her from grooming the area, not jumping etc. If you have any worries on the healing, post a photo on this site or send a photo to your vet. Try not to worry.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww what a cutie she is. Of course you are nervous believe me it's normal to feel that way. And just keep reminding yourself your doing this for her it really is the best for her. Vet's do so many spays and neuters without any complications. Like V verna davies has said you sound like you are well prepared so try not to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
update because she’s finally home ! surgery went great, absolutely no complications, she had bloods done and got microchipped today too, vets put her surgery suit on as she hates collars, she was absolutely fine in the vets, but being quinn, her mischievous self got out of it the second she got in the house, we took her in the bedroom she’ll be staying in and she ran around and started trying to groom the incision, obviously i stopped her lol, decided to try the donut cone instead, which she shockingly was fine with after a couple of minutes, but she was being shockingly hyperactive so she has had to go in her crate, she’s ate some food, had a drink and been to the toilet so now its just an evening of keeping a close eye on her and keeping her quiet and hoping she’ll sleep lol, she’s been prescribed some pain meds which she’ll need to have for 5 days every morning, thank you for all the support btw, very much appreciated :hearthrob:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad it's gone well. It's not unusual for them to be hyper when they come home. Some cat's act like nothing has happened and they want to bounce off the walls. I think it's the excitement of just being home. Now she's eaten hopefully she'll sleep soon.

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
she finally settled last night and mostly slept through the night, she was very happy to see me this morning, meowing and everything :lol: gave her her pain meds with absolutely no issues, she took them like it was a treat lol, she’s eating and drinking well, and using her litter tray regularly too, hasn’t pooped yet but i’m not worried about that yet as its not been even 24hrs since she went under lol, she seems to have settled again and gone back to sleep now :hearthrob:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
forgot to update but she pooped !! but she did half in the litter box and half out, she’s eating and drinking fine from what i can tell, to be honest she might have accidentally kicked the poop out as doing half a poop in and half a poop out doesn’t make much sense lmao, it’s probably just the cone as i doubt she can really see what she’s doing when covering it up, we cleaned it up and rang our vets and they said not to worry, that she might be stressed because of the crate and the change in location and stuff, they said if she does it again, mention it to the nurse who we have a phone call booked with tomorrow for her two day post op check up, its quite hard to see her incision as its a flank spay but i’m going to try and get a picture tonight and we need to get one tomorrow to email the vets as well, from what i saw yesterday it looks very neat which is always good, the vets told us also when she escaped from her cone yesterday evening and licked it not to worry about that too much as she doesn’t have external stitches which is a good thing right ?? i can’t wait until she starts feeling like herself again as she just looks so down atm, it breaks my heart, she’s slept pretty well today which is good and the cone isn’t making her angry anymore lol :lol: :hearthrob:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
E75361F6-1296-4A45-8437-801AA9C381ED.jpeg

managed to get a photo of her spay site !! its been just under 36 hours i believe as she was operated on at midday yesterday and its 11pm now, she has a call with the nurse tomorrow to discuss how she is so anything bad can be brought up then, she seems like she’s brightening up a bit tonight, being a little bit mischievous as per usual for her :lol: she’s just had some cheek scratches and seems to be just relaxing for a bit, i know nothing about spaying so correct me if i’m wrong but i think her site looks okay :hearthrob: sorry for posting so regularly too, she’s my first pet so i worry quite a bit about her and this forum helped us so much in the past :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The incision looks very good! As long as she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box, everything is good. I've had so many cats spayed I can't even remember how many, and I still get sick to my stomach bringing them in. It takes about a week and she'll be back to normal. I've never used a cone on any of my cats and never had a problem. My outside cats just get crated overnight after surgery and they seem normal the next day!

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
It look great, clean, no redness, your doing a good job looking after her. I hope you manage to keep her relatively quiet for a couple of days, thats the hard part :)
haha you’re right, can definitely tell she’s feeling better, she came out of the crate this morning for treats and cuddles and her meds and she jumped onto the bed which i wasn’t happy about obviously but luckily its quite a low bed so i’m not too concerned, i’m so glad she’s recovering so well :lol: :hearthrob:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
spoke to the vets yesterday, they said her incision looked good, to keep on with the cone and the pain meds and persist with the crate if she seems like she’s being too hyper, we actually made her a bigger crate as the other one was too small tbh, we used spare c+c grids we had around and made her a 4x3 area and she seems a lot more relaxed in there, she’s taking up the entire living room floor basically but its worth it for her :lol: this is her incision today, it looks a bit more pink than yesterday but i thought i’d post it here before i start worrying about it as i know nothing about spaying and healing of the incision lol
D2BC2A7D-0B11-45AC-8DF3-396F1B8A1796.png