kitten getting sick.. URI?

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, 

I just got a kitten 2 days ago. He's about 25 oz and probably 6 or 7 weeks old. He's been sneezing since I got him and his eye is just starting to show some symptoms- a little discharge and it's about 3/4 of the way open. He also has very wet poops but not quite diarrhea- that might just be because he's on a new food. He's been eating wet food with plenty of water mixed in, and today I got some goats milk to use instead of water. I took him into the Petco clinic today hoping we could get vaccines, but he's too young and they wouldn't even look at him, just told me to come back in 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure he's got/is developing a URI and that the vet will give me some antibiotics but I'm worried about killing the good bacteria as well as the bad... I'm not sure if I should wait a little while to see if he gets better now that he's on better food and we're getting rid of the fleas, or if he should be brought in at the first sign of symptoms. 

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel that with such a young kitten a vet should see him right away. It is best to not wait with such a baby. I hope he gets better fast,and good luck with him.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this.  I would take him to a different vet for a check-up if this were my kitten. Try calling around because I know in my area some vets offices do free exams for new clients.  I am not sure if it is the same in your area.  

What color is the eye discharge?  When I adopted my cat Casey when he was 7 weeks old he hard a URI and an eye infection.  The discharge from his eyes was greenish-yellow.  Until you can get him into the vet you could try doing a steam treatment.   Run the shower in your bathroom as hot as you can get it and steam up the bathroom.  Take the kitten in the bathroom and sit in there with him for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day.  I used a damp soft wash cloth to clean Casey's eyes.  My vet gave me antibiotic eye drops and liquid medicine for Casey.  I don't remember the names of the medicines since this was over 2 years ago.

I know some people use probiotics for their cats but this is not something I have any experience with.  Hopefully someone who uses them will chime in here.

Also what steps are you taking to get rid of the fleas?  I have thankfully never had to deal with fleas.

Sorry for the questions but they may help people provide you with more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@catlover73

Slightly yellow. All he's had is a little goober on the side of his eye, but his left eye started looking a little watery and closing about two hours ago. Thankfully no wheezing- just a sneeze every twenty minutes. 

I'm using a flea comb and apple cider vinegar to wait for the flea meds to arrive... Capstar and Program. Almost no fleas left!

I'm going to find a vet asap.. I started getting sick as soon as I took him home and I have to bus to the vet which is stressful for both of us. Very peeved the Petco vet wouldn't see us just because he was so young.

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He wanted to get an extreme close up I guess! It looks like l-lysine is good to give cats, so I've ordered some to give to him and my other girl. 

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he fought it off... he's sneezing way less and his eye is back to normal. Yay!