Kitten Gets Loose Stools With Canned Foods!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuchsiafairy16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also not sure if this poor fat digestion is a medical concern or just how he is? I might ask the Vet about it next week...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuchsiafairy16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rawz is a great recommendation: all too many wet foods have ingredients derived from potatoes and peas, ingredients that cats' bodies aren't really designed to process well. They also raise the carbs in foods, which means there are multiple reasons to avoid them! (One of our cats barfs if she eats potato so I'm very conscious of this!) Any processed food has lots of ingredients with the potential to cause problems but I'd look at blaming carbs/veg before blaming fat and look for the simplest recipes possible -- Rawz is very good for that purpose -- and see how those go.
As weird as it may sound, the food he digests the best has a whole 33% carb and every single canned food I have tried before has given him loose stools:/ I've literally tried everything; LID, very low carb, premium brands, etc etc. After good results feeding him some Weruva canned, I am convinced it is the fat in the canned food giving his tummy a hard time! Perhaps there is something off with his digestive enzymes but I just have to go with what works for him until I figure out what's wrong. I was thinking about trying Hounds and Gatos because of the simplicity of their ingredients but I have a feeling the high fat will upset him. I will look into Rawz now thanks!!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're onto something with the higher fat content. I actually went back to look over all the canned foods that I've given my cat while trying to figure out what his issue was and most of them are moderate to high fat. I had thought it could be the gums but gave him a can of Fussie Cat brand yesterday to test it out since it's very low fat (it has locust bean gum, I believe) and so far he hasn't been in the litter box to go so I'll have to see how his stool looks once he finally goes. Usually, when he was on all canned and not the freeze-dried raw I have him on now, he'd have gone to the bathroom by now and it would've been pretty noisy and loose.

All in all, now I don't know what to think. :lol: Thank you for starting this thread though because honestly, I hadn't even thought fat content could cause digestive upset but now I have something new to test out.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They only problem is I live in the middle of nowhere and there are no pet stores around. I order most of my pet food online to save me the 45 minute drive into the city to Petco. There is a feed store that sells dog food. It's about 30 minutes away. I may have seen dry cat food there. I could ask them, but they aren't really a pet store. Oh well. Maybe they'll start selling directly from their website.
Yes, distance can definitely be an issue! It might be worth asking the feed store what they could do for you since the store most likely uses distributors that sell dog and cat foods. That's how it is at the dog wash and pet food store where I buy most of our cat food: they only have a small area devoted to cat food but can and will order just about anything I want. They've now started carrying more cat products regularly -- they learned about some of them from me.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the bottom of the Rawz "Where to Buy" page, there is a list of 9 authorized online retailers. They're all physical shops in the US that also have the option of online ordering. So if your local shop isn't willing to order it for whatever reason, you still have the option of ordering it yourself from one of those retailers.