Kitten gets "bitey" while on the bed...

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello -- I am "foster failure" with a spayed, female kitten approximately four months old. She was found by herself, and I offered to foster her since she is an "only" and I could turn her around in a week or two and easily get her adopted. Anyhow, my husband fell in love with her, and decided she's a keeper. We've had her about six weeks and I estimate she is now about four months old.

I realize the challenges of having an "only" kitten, but I have zero interest in having two. My husband is home with her all day, so she gets a TON of attention and is rarely ever alone.

Getting to my point.... we had a spell where she was pretty snappy (nicknamed her "snapping turtle"). Mostly it was when she was really "charged up" -- so we play with her a ton and I bought her a kicker toy that she loves to beat up. So, I think we have a handle on the play aggression and it has much improved.

My only concern now, is whenever she is on the bed -- she resorts to being a snapping turtle again. This not just during play, but when you go to touch her or pick her up. My old cat used to be this way too -- almost as if being on the bed gives them some sort of sense of superiority --- I have often heard you should not let dogs on the bed or couch until you establish dominance over them -- maybe this is similar???

I am just wondering if this common?

Lastly, I have read so many mixed comments on what to do when a kitten is bitey --- so many say don't spray them, don't smack them (I would never), don't blow in their face..... doesn't leave a lot left you can do! I am tempted to leave a spray bottle on the nightstand and only use it if she bites on the bed. She needs to know that she will lose her bed privileges if she bites, but I can't safely remove her when she does it.

Other than this -- we really love her -- she plays hard and cuddles hard!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket gets bitey when she is super sleepy and cuddly. I've kind of assumed it is love biting at that point. Pretty much the only thing that works is taking away the hand by putting it under covers or lifting them up in the air. Once Rocket realizes the pets went away in relation to the biting she usually calms down a little. The few times she doesn't calm down I try tossing a small toy (always keep them on flat surfaces near problem areas) and she gets distracted for long enough to work out the energy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Why can't you use the kicker toy she likes as a distraction when she is 'bitey' on the bed? If that doesn't work, the best option is to gently hold her by the scruff of the neck (do not lift her while doing this) and either say 'NO' or hiss at her (pick one) and then ignore her for a minute or two. If she goes right back to biting, repeat - and, repeat and repeat. Consistency is the only thing that will work, but it won't necessarily work immediately. Do not spray her with water - cats do not get what it means and it can actually make matters worse.
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – Cat Articles

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had the policy of never every playing with a kitten or cat in my bed. I want them to learn that the bed and bedroom is for plain boring human sleep. I have also consistently removed them from the room if they pester me too much or get too wild on the bed. While it takes months for some to catch on to the bedroom rules, they have all done so eventually.

And, as a general rule you don’t want to play with a kitten with your hand and you want to stop immediately if they start to bite and give they a hiss or a loud “Ouch! or “No Biting!”.