Kitten gets "aroused" by blanket?

nihki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had a few male cats in my family and I've never seen this behavior before. My kitten is male, about 4 months old. Sometimes he randomly grabs a blanket on the couch in his mouth and starts purring and kneading it. He stands over the blanket (stradling it basically) but he doesn't hump it. Sometimes he turns around in circles with the blanket still in his mouth. I noticed yesterday that his penis is erect when he exhibits this behavior. He hasn't been neutered yet, as I live in Sweden and vets here won't perform castration until the animal is about 6 months old. What he's doing doesn't bother anyway right now, he doesn't do it very often, but I'm concerned with the future. 

Has anyone come across something like this? In my family we've had 4 male cats, 5 including my kitten now. None of the other boys have ever exhibited any behavior like this. I literally had not even ever seen a cat penis before 2 days ago :S 

If someone has experienced this, might it go away when he gets fixed? I plan to have it done as soon as possible, regardless!

Should I stop him when he does that behavior so it doesn't turn into something worse in the future? Or just let him be since he's not bothering anyone and whatnot? 

Miriette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't dealt with this myself, but I've heard about plenty of other people dealing with this same situation. It's not pleasant to watch, but it's completely normal. Neutering him will most likely stop the behavior, though some neutered cats will continue to have these urges. If it doesn't really bother you it's okay to allow him to continue doing it, and I don't think it'll cause his behavior to escalate. If he was going to start mounting anything (or anyone) else it would probably happen whether you let him have the blanket or not. But if you want him to stop then take the blanket away or remove him from the room as soon as he starts, or don't let him have the blanket at all.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I agree with Miriette.. He's a boy, and he's starting to act like one.
  I think you are wise for seeing about getting him neutered asap.  Australian vets seem to go for the 6 month thing too (although of course they are done much earlier in the shelters).  I have found one, though who will do it from 4 months on and hopefully you will too.

Let us know how you get on.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is neutered and does that. He will also try to do it to my arm if I'm laying down with him. Cats sometimes do that out of insecurity.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My last male cat, Binks, showed up at my home about two years ago. He was already fixed, so he either ran away from his home or was dropped off by some nasty owners. Binks is a great cat and kind of comical, but he has a "fetish" for my wife and daughter's intimate apparel. Usually during the night, Binks will be calling while he drags a bra or panties (anything with the ladies scent on them), while straddling the clothing. He has done this since he first came inside, about 2 years now, and he usually ends up dragging the clothing around and it ends up at the food bowl for some reason. Binks is easy going with the other 3 or 4 cats that make up our home group, but he is a bit like a kid with ADD...he has a hard time sitting still.

I'm not sure why he is exhibiting this behavior, but several other members mentioned that their male cats sometimes carry around ladies intimates, so I guess it isn't too uncommon. I guess it's better than a dog humping your leg, but I get tired of picking up clothing every morning. Crazy Cats!

Jim 

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine also does that fespite being neutered. It seems to start with him pretending to nurse and then he just gets carried away into a full out humping session. The last boy cat I had did the same thing. Polyester blankets seem to trigger it. Maybe they smell like girl cats or something?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a neutered male and he acted like that. He was neutered at 6 months. He didn't bother anyone, just whatever blanket or toy he had available (usually a teddy bear) so I just left him alone.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old male cat does the same thing,it's not a nice sight but he has one blanket he does this to and I make sure none of the others ones get used the same

santan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little boy kitty, Jams, has been doing that since he was a baby. He particularly enjoys the fleece side of the throw on my bed. He is neutered and has been since he was about 4 months old (rescue org. does it before they allow adoptions).

We call it "binking". He likes to suck on his binky blankey and "do his thing". Doesn't hurt anything and it makes him happy, so what the heck.

Jams is 7 yrs. old now and still likes his bink sessions every night before bed time. Good for him!

LOL!