Kitten fur to adult cat fur changes?

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired black cat / older kitten. He's 10 months old. When we got him at five months old, he had some grey hairs in his undercoat in his belly. He was fuzzier as a kitten, then he got more silky as he got older, but now his fur seems like it's getting thicker and changing color. More recently I've noticed white and more grey (and faded black) growing in thicker on his belly and undercoat. Particularly under where his front legs meet his body (underarm area I guess?) to the point that his belly is getting noticeably lighter. His coat in general appears to be getting thicker too (and we are just coming out of winter into summer, so I was expecting him to shed if anything). His hair around his head (ruff?) is getting thicker as well. Is this just his adult coat coming in? Other than the color change his fur seems great (very soft and shiny / silky) When does kitten fur become adult fur? Also the fur on his belly is not quite the same texture as the rest of his fur, it's more crinkly.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he is shedding his undercoat and that is what you are seeing.  Are you grooming him?  If so, what are you using?  Soft brushes (for example) just slide over the top of the coat.  A fine-tooth metal comb will get right through it and take out the old fur he is shedding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am grooming him. I have a fine tooth comb and also a bristle type brush (not soft) 

He (surprisingly) does not seem to shed a whole lot, other than in places that he sleeps a lot. When I brush him I get some fur off in the comb but not as much I was thinking. I know my last cat (DSH) I used to get a lot more fur off when I brushed him, and he was always getting his cat fur all over my clothes etc (then again, he had lighter colored fur, so maybe it was just more obvious with him)

I was just wondering because while his dad was all black, his mom was black with some white (mostly on chest, paws, and on chin).

I was just wondering if some latent white spots were coming in or something....