Kitten Fractured Back Leg, Have To Keep Her In A Cage For The Next Few Weeks?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just make sure you’re upping his wet food intake or mixing in extra water to compensate for less water access. You could see if he will drink from a glass of water when you hold it too. My Moms cat will drink ou the of any glass if she is holding it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just make sure you’re upping his wet food intake or mixing in extra water to compensate for less water access. You could see if he will drink from a glass of water when you hold it too. My Moms cat will drink ou the of any glass if she is holding it.
Yeah being adding water to his wet food, haven't bothered giving him any dry. He's eating if I hold it in my hand or in a spoon, not from a bowl from what I've seen.

Will try the glass out.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A long time ago I had a cat was probably a year old and who broke her front leg, and I had a cast put on. As soon as the swelling went down she got the cast off. Probably within 48 hours. I had to take her back have it reset as best as they could, and another one was placed on. She had it on for about 2-3 weeks, as I recall, and again, got it off. At this point the vet told me forget it. She's healing nicely now. The only option was surgery, which meant rebreaking the leg and putting screws in.
I didn't want that and I didn't have the money for it.
But guess what? She lived to be 18 years old and had a fantastic life. Walked with a limp but she still ran and played and was loved by all who met her.
Don't be surprised if the cast falls off.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xv6hpiBzJ958KedZ6

Switching the cast was a big help, he's a lot calmer now. Vet thinks maybe some fur may have gotten too tightly caught and it was pulling him. Hoping to add back his water bowl back by tomorrow.

New tent is a lot bigger, though his litter box is pretty tiny.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A long time ago I had a cat was probably a year old and who broke her front leg, and I had a cast put on. As soon as the swelling went down she got the cast off. Probably within 48 hours. I had to take her back have it reset as best as they could, and another one was placed on. She had it on for about 2-3 weeks, as I recall, and again, got it off. At this point the vet told me forget it. She's healing nicely now. The only option was surgery, which meant rebreaking the leg and putting screws in.
I didn't want that and I didn't have the money for it.
But guess what? She lived to be 18 years old and had a fantastic life. Walked with a limp but she still ran and played and was loved by all who met her.
Don't be surprised if the cast falls off.
That's pretty great for a grown cat. I'm hoping 4 weeks will do the trick for Sawyer since he is so young. He's still on pretty heavy pain medication for the next three days and I got to give him another dose of anti-inflammatory tomorrow. But everything seems much better now.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the rewrap is feeling better. :yess:
Yeah I just feel so bad, his tent literally has a crappy litterbox, and towels... I have my google home mini playing a cat album of music, but that's it.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave Link a stuffed animal that he could play with or cuddle with.
Yeah I'll probably do that after a day or two. Just want him to adjust a bit first.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may not be an option But I had to quarantine my girl because she had to have 19 eyedrops a day for three weeks I ended up moving her into a walking closet. I even moved in with her at night, I ordered a mattress and slept in there with her. I also worked on and off throughout the day in there because I work from home. I still felt guilty but she didn’t feel so alone... on the other hand my husband felt a little lonely ;)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, not a fun time for you =/
Our vet once said that if the bones are in the same room they will heal (in cats), but recovery time can be hell for us and them.
:grouphug2:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he heals has quickly as possible!

I don't know much about caring for a cat with a Brocken leg.

Instead of a stuffed animal would a Kickaroo work? My boys get lazy on catnip. If catnip calms him, the kickaroo might be ideal.

I would try very light play with a feather wand outside of the bars so he can bat at it through the bars with his front paws. I would also buy a small tank and buy guppies and maybe a few bigger fish. Then put the tank outside his kennel/mesh thing where he can see the fish. I would say a beta but I think multiple guppies would cause more movement. I have a plastic goldfish tank of 1.5 gallons that I got cheaply off amazon. Ask the fish store person. Or the cheap route of buying him crickets and a small plastic cage. You could place the crickets in his mesh thingy for an hour or two a day.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah at this point I'm worried that he hasn't passed stool in 48 hours. He doesn't really want to eat much and haven't seen him drink much.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Follow up with your vet to see at what point you should be concerned. I know Link refused to use the litter box in his crate as long as possible. Combined with eating a minimal amount prior to his confinement due to pain and even after holding it his first usage of the litter box was tiny. Once he accepted he had to use the litter box in the crate he didn’t hold it anymore, just yelled at us to clean it as he exited he box, my little neat freak.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Being in a crate with no activity is not helping the matter. I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying, it's healthy to be active or mobile in some way to work the stool out.
If the kitty is in pain meds there may be a loss of appetite or the constipation but you don't want the cat to get dehydrated either. It's very hard for them to go potty with a cast on. I was shocked when my cat was able to do it and her leg was held out while she hobbled around my apartment. Do you let the cat out while you supervise?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Follow up with your vet to see at what point you should be concerned. I know Link refused to use the litter box in his crate as long as possible. Combined with eating a minimal amount prior to his confinement due to pain and even after holding it his first usage of the litter box was tiny. Once he accepted he had to use the litter box in the crate he didn’t hold it anymore, just yelled at us to clean it as he exited he box, my little neat freak.
My vet said it wouldn't surprise her if she doesn't pass stool until Monday. I mean he is probably using his litter once a day to pee.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Being in a crate with no activity is not helping the matter. I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying, it's healthy to be active or mobile in some way to work the stool out.
If the kitty is in pain meds there may be a loss of appetite or the constipation but you don't want the cat to get dehydrated either. It's very hard for them to go potty with a cast on. I was shocked when my cat was able to do it and her leg was held out while she hobbled around my apartment. Do you let the cat out while you supervise?
I'm going to wait until after one week before letting him run around.

Although initially my vet was fine with letting me keep him in a bathroom even a bedroom as long as he didn't try climbing.

I mean he is eating a decent bit, I would say 50-75% of his normal amount, so he is getting food in there, and water as well.

He is peeing fine.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well good news, when I woke up sawyer did poop quite a bit. Maybe not three days worth of poop, but probably two days worth of it.

I did have to switch to an actual litter box since he was hitting it around too much.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is good news. I cried when I watched your first (small cage) video, but this new lager soft one looks much better, and kitties adjust. Keep reminding yourself it's for his own good.
P.S. He is adorable