Kitten formula recipe?

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My hubby is on his way to pick up 4 newborn kittens that were found in a box by a garbage can (OMG I'm just fuming there!). Need to find a good tried-and-true recipe for kitten formula for these little guys....

Ok how old do you think these kids are? Here's a couple pics of one. How old do you think they are? I've got some dry Felidae soaking for the moment, I think they may be old enough to eat some dry food. I'm still going to give them formula or Glop, but I'm thinking they are old enough to start on some soaked dry.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fatkitties

My hubby is on his way to pick up 4 newborn kittens that were found in a box by a garbage can (OMG I'm just fuming there!). Need to find a good tried-and-true recipe for kitten formula for these little guys....
Oh bless you both. You'll find the recipe (and a great overall site with the info you'll need) here:http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html This site was put together by a TCS member, and is excellent.

Please keep us posted?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found that site when I was searching! I have most of it on hand, will just need to run to the store and pick up a couple things.

I'll keep you all posted. These kittens will be up for adoptio once they are weaned, there's no way I can keep 4 more cats. I just got my 5th dog, and have 3 cats already. So yeah these guys are definitely going to be up for adoption!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Added pictures and bringing to top.....

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd feel better at judging if I held them/saw them in person, but based on eyes open and how they are holding themselves, I'd guess maybe 2 to3 weeks (just revised down after taking another look at the photos)?

Hopefully Hissy or others used to doing kitten rescue will chime in.

They are utterly adorable.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link that has a recipe for homemade pedialyte and kitten formula.

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html

the kittens need to be fed every hour around the clock  the first couple of nights.  Can you bring them inside?

They will need a nest and a heat source (heating pad on low, bottle with hot water or a sock filled w/raw rice - nuke for 5 minutes, holds heat 3-4 hours) covered by a cloth.  The kittens cannot regulate their body heat until 3 weeks old.

When you feed them, keep the tummy down and head up (like when they nurse), put a drop in the cheek, wait for the kitten to swallow, breathe and repeat.  This will take practice and patience.  Is there someone who can help you?  then they will need to be burped.  And you will need to help them eliminate by rubbing the belly w/ a damp washcloth and then tapping by their but.

Last edited: