Kitten Food Questions--again

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've been feeding Cinnamon Nutro's Chicken Kitten "soft loaf" pate, because that's what she'd eat. But recently she started eating some of the Sheba perfect portions, and her favorite was no doubt the beef. This sparked a couple of questions. I put the questions in bold because I like to ramble.

1. Sheba is apparently suitable to feed kittens, and I don't know that "kitten" beef food exists. Would it be okay to feed a kitten something "for all life stages?" I've just always assumed cat food is to cats as kitten food is to kittens because they need extra protein and some other stuff, like salmon oil for the eyes or something.

2. Most kitten foods I've seen that I like come in only chicken pate. I've noticed that in addition to chicken, Blue Buffalo has a salmon pate for kittens, and Nutro has shreds for kittens. I don't feel like I should feed only chicken because that seems like it would get old. Am I wrong?
Especially because she seems to like beef a lot better. However, this goes back to my previous question. If I can feed her food for all life stages, it seems like the logical thing to do for variety. However, I'm aware that kittens need more protein and some other things again. Are there suitable foods that provide good protein and come in things other than chicken?

3. I've had my eye on Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain pate and kibble for a while, because it has things other than chicken in it, and it puts a spin on the texture of the pate. You can find the Ingredients list on Chewy. Would this be a good brand to feed?

4. In general, what is the best wet thing I could feed Cinnamon w/ a budget of $35/month? We tried Wellness Core and realized it wasn't very wallet friendly. I know I'm being ridiculous right now, I just want to do the best for cinnamon.

5. (Finally) Is Blue Buffalo (wilderness) kitten a good thing for Cinnamon? I'm thinking of feeding her this on rotation w/ another protein. How about their Salmon for kittens? I know mercury is avoidable, but I feel like Blue Buffalo would have better quality fish in their food. What do you think?

Okay, I'm done. Sorry for my endless lot of questions and rambling. Thank you so much for your answer(s).

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The labels "kitten food" and "adult food" are partly marketing tactics and are partly useful. They are useful in the sense that kittens need more protein and fat because they are growing and are usually energetic and playing around (burning lots of calories). So kitten food will usually have more protein and fat. But, there are plenty of adult foods that have just as much protein (if not more) than kitten foods. For example, Weruva and Ziwi Peak I find are both great brands to feed to kittens (high in protein, decent in fat, and low in carbs). This chart is also helpful: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Other sources of protein that are great for cats besides chicken and turkey are rabbit, lamb, duck. Ziwi Peak has some great canned rabbit and lamb, but it's a bit on the pricy side.

Wellness is a good food, my only complaint about their wet food is the use of carrageenan. I prefer Weruva Cats in the Kitchen and I can actually find it for cheaper than Wellness where I live. It's much higher in protein and lower in carbs (depending on the flavour) than Wellness. I don't have a lot of experience with Taste of the Wild.

In general, I try to avoid giving my kitty foods that have fish in them on a regular basis. As a treat once in a while seems to be fine for my cat, but I don't like giving it all the time.

I hear Fancy Feast is good bang for your buck but I've never tried it myself.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also Merrick is usually reasonably priced (I find it on sale all the time) and is just as good as Wellness in my opinion.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I've been feeding Cinnamon Nutro's Chicken Kitten "soft loaf" pate, because that's what she'd eat. But recently she started eating some of the Sheba perfect portions, and her favorite was no doubt the beef. This sparked a couple of questions. I put the questions in bold because I like to ramble.

1. Sheba is apparently suitable to feed kittens, and I don't know that "kitten" beef food exists. Would it be okay to feed a kitten something "for all life stages?" I've just always assumed cat food is to cats as kitten food is to kittens because they need extra protein and some other stuff, like salmon oil for the eyes or something.

Not sure how old Cinnamon is, but yes, "for all life stages" is okay for kittens and you don't need to add anything else to the mix.

2. Most kitten foods I've seen that I like come in only chicken pate. I've noticed that in addition to chicken, Blue Buffalo has a salmon pate for kittens, and Nutro has shreds for kittens. I don't feel like I should feed only chicken because that seems like it would get old. Am I wrong?
Especially because she seems to like beef a lot better. However, this goes back to my previous question. If I can feed her food for all life stages, it seems like the logical thing to do for variety. However, I'm aware that kittens need more protein and some other things again. Are there suitable foods that provide good protein and come in things other than chicken?

Any protein you want to feed is ok as long as it doesn't cause gastric distress. (and says "all stages", I would say. Others don't even look for that :wink: )

3. I've had my eye on Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain pate and kibble for a while, because it has things other than chicken in it, and it puts a spin on the texture of the pate. You can find the Ingredients list on Chewy. Would this be a good brand to feed?

Don't know why not

4. In general, what is the best wet thing I could feed Cinnamon w/ a budget of $35/month? We tried Wellness Core and realized it wasn't very wallet friendly. I know I'm being ridiculous right now, I just want to do the best for cinnamon.

Can't really help you there because it really depends on where you buy, but remember, depending on how old she is, if she's really young, she will eat more and more as she grows, then she will taper off when she stops growing. Plus sounds like you want to feed a variety, which is usually fine in the wet food department. If you want to include dry, it's not good to switch that up because it really can cause tummy issues. BTW, none of my cats liked Wellness Core, and I had four at the time we tried it.

5. (Finally) Is Blue Buffalo (wilderness) kitten a good thing for Cinnamon? I'm thinking of feeding her this on rotation w/ another protein. How about their Salmon for kittens? I know mercury is avoidable, but I feel like Blue Buffalo would have better quality fish in their food. What do you think?

Any kitten food should be okay, IF she'll eat it. I don't think their Salmon would be any better than anyone else's. Salmon is Salmon. It lives part of it's life in the ocean and therefore is going to have some mercury in it. BUT if it's not her entire diet, a can or two now and then is probably not going to harm her. Some cats actually won't eat anything but fish and live long and happy lives. You just never know.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry for my endless lot of questions and rambling. Thank you so much for your answer(s).
That's why we're here! :wink:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, "all life stages" is fine... I'd just be sure to get foods that are comparatively caloric since kittens need lots of calories so tend to eat a lot! The catinfo.org chart that Neo_23 Neo_23 linked to is a great way to compare calories.

neo_23's suggestion of Fancy Feast is a good one: it's low-carb, high-protein, and not too expensive. Friskies isn't bad, either, though it has rice, which is carby. Some store brands are pretty decent as well. Weruva's definitely very good food and our cats love their Cats in the Kitchen foods but the calories tend to be low.

As for the other questions, variety is definitely good and I agree about avoiding fish (other than as an occasional treat).

Also, neo_23, Wellness Core got rid of the carrageenan. Our cats always loved their kitten food so I got a small can of it as a treat and they loved it. I agree with EggSandwich EggSandwich , though that Wellness isn't exactly a bargain. It's decent food but a little overpriced. Though when cats get picky, sometimes anything they'll eat can seem like a bargain!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, neo_23, Wellness Core got rid of the carrageenan. Our cats always loved their kitten food so I got a small can of it as a treat and they loved it. I agree with EggSandwich EggSandwich , though that Wellness isn't exactly a bargain. It's decent food but a little overpriced. Though when cats get picky, sometimes anything they'll eat can seem like a bargain!
That's so strange -- I have a can of Kitten Core in my kitchen right now and it says it has carrageenan in it. Is it because I'm in Canada?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so strange -- I have a can of Kitten Core in my kitchen right now and it says it has carrageenan in it. Is it because I'm in Canada?
It's probably just an old can: they had old and new labels in the store I bought the food. Here's the new labeling. (Though I bought a small can and it was a bit different... but it specifically said it didn't have carrageenan.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's replies! :)
Based on people saying feeding fish consistently, I'm unsure about Taste of the Wild's Rocky Mountain.
Salmon, Fish Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Pea Flour, Smoked Salmon, Roasted Venison, Peas, Ocean Fish, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Inulin, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid.
The first ingredient is Salmon. The third ingredient is peas. Err..

While she's still a kitten (currently 3 months) I would like to free feed dry food as well as her scheduled wet.
Taste of the Wild doesn't really seem the best choice here either, except the reviews are great.
Chicken Meal, Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Roasted Venison, Smoked Salmon, Natural Flavor, Ocean Fish Meal, Dl-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.
Both of these ingredient lists are on Chewy.com.

Can anyone recommend me good wet (priority) and dry (not so priority) foods for Cinnamon? I'd be shopping on Chewy for these things, if it helps.

Thank you so much.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's replies! :)
Based on people saying feeding fish consistently, I'm unsure about Taste of the Wild's Rocky Mountain.
Salmon, Fish Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Pea Flour, Smoked Salmon, Roasted Venison, Peas, Ocean Fish, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Inulin, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid.
The first ingredient is Salmon. The third ingredient is peas. Err..

While she's still a kitten (currently 3 months) I would like to free feed dry food as well as her scheduled wet.
Taste of the Wild doesn't really seem the best choice here either, except the reviews are great.
Chicken Meal, Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Roasted Venison, Smoked Salmon, Natural Flavor, Ocean Fish Meal, Dl-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.
Both of these ingredient lists are on Chewy.com.

Can anyone recommend me good wet (priority) and dry (not so priority) foods for Cinnamon? I'd be shopping on Chewy for these things, if it helps.

Thank you so much.
I think we are on the same boat right now. I am also shopping for Loki both wet and dry (currently feeding him BB). For wet, I am still shopping around. For dry, I think I will give Dr Elsey a try even though It's a bit expensive ($43 for a 6.6 lb bag) but the reviews are good. Also the ingredients look exceptional. Since the food is very "rich", the kitten will eat least and it lasts longer

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we are on the same boat right now. I am also shopping for Loki both wet and dry (currently feeding him BB). For wet, I am still shopping around. For dry, I think I will give Dr Elsey a try even though It's a bit expensive ($43 for a 6.6 lb bag) but the reviews are good. Also the ingredients look exceptional. Since the food is very "rich", the kitten will eat least and it lasts longer
Does Loki like Blue Buffalo? I was considering it, but the only variety I'm willing to feed is chicken.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Loki like Blue Buffalo? I was considering it, but the only variety I'm willing to feed is chicken.
Yeah, he likes it a lot, but I don't really like it tho because of several recalls and the reviews of BB from other sites are pretty bad. I don't know if Loki is allergic to any ingredient in BB because recently, I found out that he keep scratching his neck, head, and he is chewing on his leg while he is grooming himself (Those are the symptoms of allergy). He got flea treatment a month ago so I don't think it's the cause

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using Merrick Purrfect Bistro kitten. No problems on it and it's reasonably priced.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he likes it a lot, but I don't really like it tho because of several recalls and the reviews of BB from other sites are pretty bad. I don't know if Loki is allergic to any ingredient in BB because recently, I found out that he keep scratching his neck, head, and he is chewing on his leg while he is grooming himself (Those are the symptoms of allergy). He got flea treatment a month ago so I don't think it's the cause
Ah. Cinnamon is kind of in the same boat, except Cinnamon does have fleas (getting her first treatment this week) I hope this is the only reason she scratches all the time and bites herself while grooming.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As Neo_23 Neo_23 mentioned, Merrick is also a very good choice. However, I don't like the 26% carb in Merrick. That's why I am still searching for brand that offers very low carb, no fish, no corn, whey, agar - agar, gum, potato, etc products.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
As Neo_23 Neo_23 mentioned, Merrick is also a very good choice. However, I don't like the 26% carb in Merrick. That's why I am still searching for brand that offers very low carb, no fish, no corn, whey, agar - agar, gum, potato, etc products.
Let me know when you find something out.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me know when you find something out.
I have been looking for it, but so far no luck :( Throughout the searching process, I have learnt that there will always be a trade off no matter which one you end up buying. Let say you want to buy product A because of good ingredients, however, it has high amount of phosphorus which is not good for your cat. Or you want to buy product that has low amount of phosphorus, then it has high carb % or includes ingredients you don't like. So... you know. Just choose the one that has the elements you hate the least :dunno: