kitten food ok for adult cats?

donotsurrender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My 11 year old female cat, Missy ,is eating the Iams kitten dry food that I feed  my 5 month old male kitten, Solo. Since Missy discovered the Iams dry kitty food she rarely eats her own dry food.

Will it do Missy any harm to eat the kitten food? They both are fed a half can of wet food in the morning and the evening; the dry food is a snack; they don't eat a lot of it.

And, it is a long time since I had a kitten in my home. What a pleasure!

Sheila

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem when I got a kitten last year, I just mixed a little bit of kitten food in with my older cat's food so she would leave the kitten's food alone. it's probably just the smell of a new food that attracts the older cat to the kitten food

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten food is more nutrient dense and higher caloried, but it won't hurt adult cats. Some people feed kitten food to their adult cats if there is an appetite problem and they need to get more calories in the cat (e.g., cats with kidney disease).

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem, back when I was feeding Iams (a few foods ago). I was told by the vet to not let the adult cat eat the kitten food because the fat content is a lot higher and it would make her gain weight rapidly. I asked her if I could mix the two foods and she still said no. She said that she was attracted to the food because it was like I had been feeding her salad every day and then I started putting Big Macs in the other bowl. In other words, the kitten food tastes a lot better and is more rich. It won't harm the cat, but it could make her gain weight, and it's hard to make a cat lose weight after they have gained it.