Kitten Feeding Times

chloebelle

Geneva's Mama & Daughter of the OG Cat Lady!
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I've just adopted an 8 week old kitten, Geneva. I've been feeding her wellness core kitten formula wet food and she likes it and eats plenty. She is my first cat besides family pets who were all free fed dry food. I know that wet cat food gets dried out and yucky and they don't want it, but I was wondering how exactly "meal times" work with kittens and wet food, because I've only ever just had a bowl of dry food left out. I am going to continue free feeding and just freshening the wet food for now because she has roundworm and ringworm which is affecting her appetite so I want her to have food available whenever she feels like eating, but when all of this passes, I'd like to set up a feeding schedule so tips on that would be great. Also, is this a good brand? I tried to do my homework but it's my first time so I'd like your wisdom. (:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For a kitten under 1 year it’s best to just leave dry out all the time and split canned feedings up multiple times a day when she gets to around a year you can start making it a little more scheduled and not always leaving out a bunch of dry food. Wellness core in my book is a good food. There are better, I like natures variety for a dry. And their pates, soulistic, tiki, weruva are some more of my favs that’s aren’t pate but shredded meats.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don’t have to feed dry food to a kitten. My kitten is on an all wet diet with a bit of raw. You just need to make sure you can offer multiple feedings a day. Up until 5-6 months I would give her as much as she wants at least 4 times a day. At 6 months you can do 3 scheduled feedings. But just give her as much as she can eat at each feeding.

On days that I have to miss a feeding I freeze portions of wet food in a covered ice cube tray in advance and then put out the frozen portion before I head out the door. Takes about 2 hours for it to defrost. You can also use something like a frosty bowl () to keep the food cool for up to ~6 hours sitting out. But, even with just regular wet food I often let it it sit out for up to 2 hours before picking it up and I know people who leave it out all day. Unless the room you’re leaving it in is very warm it should be fine.