Kitten Eye Infection

julia.anne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently fostering four kittens that are about two months old. They’ve all caught a bit of a cold. One of them has a swollen & inflamed eye that has a lot of drainage. I’ve cleaned up the eye with warm water on a cotton ball, but I’m not sure what else to do. I don’t know if something like eye drops or saline would help, I’m pretty new at this. Any suggestions?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS and a BIG Thank You for joining the much-much-much-needed ranks of cat&kitten fosters!!
So many of the common illnesses cause goopy eyes. Your instincts have served you well - gently cleaning with warm water & cotton balls was the right thing to do. I also cleanse with a warm eye wash/saline eye drops (I dilute human drops with a bit of warmed distilled water). I follow up with a thin layer of soothing plain vaseline or coconut oil to help keep the discharge from building up; the discharge can get very thick and sticky. The vet can sell you an antibiotic ointment and most cat rescuers keep this as well as terramycin eye ointment on hand. Oral antibiotics might be recommended as well; although most URIs are vital, the secondary infections are bacterial & the extra support helps the kittens fight off the germs.
Please keep us updated & we LOVE pictures at TCS :heartshape: