Kitten Eats Wet But Prefers Dry

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our newly adopted kitten around 3 months old prefers dry over wet (he ate dry in the shelter). I would prefer a raw diet but thats impossible here in our Japanese town. While waiting for my wet kitten food to come in, I've been feeding him Newmans own wet food which is 5.5oz a can. I would say he roughly eats one a day. However if I add dry food he will eat significantly more. Say I put out his food and he eats half. If I add a bit of dry food he will scarf it all down wet included. He weights 6ibs. and it seems to be a healthy weight for him. Maybe he's just big for his size? It's been hard figuring out how much he should eat. I do not free feed.
Is one can a day enough for him? How can I wean him into loving wet more, do I even have to?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My one cat prefers dry food over wet as well. I only feed dry once a week for that reason, otherwise she'll refuse to eat wet until I get her dry.

Some cats are addicted to dry food. Some cats may never learn to love wet, but they'll eat it because they know they won't get anything else

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One 5.5oz can of wet food per day plus a little dry food to snack on sounds perfect. I think you are doing it right.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem with one of my cats. He goes nuts for dry but indifferent to wet. I give him about a dozen pieces of dry then put down wet and he eats it. Maybe giving a little dry stimulates his taste buds, who knows

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed wet and dry. sounds like you are doing good. mostly wet, but a little dry to keep them happy :) i try to feed a very low carb dry food, Dr. Elsey's or Farmina right now. and i have several water fountains, and bowls around the house to encourage them to drink more water.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer pizza to a salad too, but we probably shouldn’t have that every day of the week. :catman: