kitten ears are bothering her

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

my 10 week old kitten meeko is scratching her ears a bit an I bought surolan drops from the vet for my older cat who had same problem an it helped the older cat get better so I was wondering can someone please tell me what age I can put the drops in my kittens ears.shes almost 10 weeks old.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would NOT give her medicine not meant for her. From what I've read, Surolan is for treating otitis, and we don't know if that's what she has.

Can you see inside her ears, and tell us if it's dirty or not, and if so, what color it is? She could have ear mites, which is treatable easily.

Please DO NOT give Surolan to you cat without vet advice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing to do is call the vet, they can advise you over the phone. I agree that it could be something else, like mites. There are a couple of topical ointments you apply high up on the back of the neck (make sure you get it high, like almost between the ears, if they lick it they foam terribly at the mouth) that takes care of ear mites and worms, Revolution and Advantage Multi, both can be ordered on Petmeds or Amazon but need a vets OK. Just contact your vet and ask. These only need to be applied once, rather than many times like ear mite solutions. Once again, contact your vet because 10 weeks is awfully young to be giving anything and needs to be cleared by a professional. Many medicines are way too strong for a young kitten. I had one that got sick and lost all his hair from a reaction. But I have also given the same to at least 20 cats with no reaction at all, so beware. You might start by just gently using a soft cloth wetted with vegetable oil to swab out the ears, the oil cleans out debris and can actually smother mites. It couldn't hurt, just don't go too deep, just the outside folds. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​to be honest her ears are real clean with hardly any wax but I wont use the surolan drops on her cause I trust ur judgement