Kitten Doesn't Want To Play With Cat

karrotlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a 2-year-old male cat named Bagheera :blackcat2:. He has always been THE most playful, curious, energetic cat ever. About 3 weeks ago we got a kitten, a 4-month-old female named Caramel :lovecat2:. Both are fixed.

We did a slow intro like we're supposed to, and they seem to get along great overall. They share food, feather-wand playtime, and litter box like champs. They both sleep on the bed with us every night. On a couple occasions I've even seen Bagheera groom Caramel.

I've heard of kittens with their rambunctious energy bothering the older resident cat. Well we have the opposite problem. When Bagheera gets in the mood, he will initiate rough play by biting the kitten (not hard -- I've never seen any signs of injury or discomfort) and whapping her with his paw (claws not out). When he does this, Caramel will meow and run away, or get on her back and hiss, growl, and wave her claws. Either way, Bagheera will get the message and back away. Sometimes he backs away for good, other times he will back away for 20 seconds and give it another go.

Is this normal behavior at all for a young cat and a kitten? Is this a male-female thing? Is it because Caramel is literally half his size and something she will grow more comfortable with as she gets bigger? Clearly, Bagheera means no harm to the kitten, he just wants a wrestling buddy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This scenario is common when the older cat is still young and playful -- and much bigger than the kitten. In time as the kitten grows and can play on a more equal basis it may change. In any event, nothing you can do to help except give the small one a break now and then, pet her alone with the door closed. Even that is a mixed thing, since the bigger cat will be more eager if he doesn't see her for a bit. Mostly what will help is time.

dorbit13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a 2-year-old male cat named Bagheera :blackcat2:. He has always been THE most playful, curious, energetic cat ever. About 3 weeks ago we got a kitten, a 4-month-old female named Caramel :lovecat2:. Both are fixed.

We did a slow intro like we're supposed to, and they seem to get along great overall. They share food, feather-wand playtime, and litter box like champs. They both sleep on the bed with us every night. On a couple occasions I've even seen Bagheera groom Caramel.

I've heard of kittens with their rambunctious energy bothering the older resident cat. Well we have the opposite problem. When Bagheera gets in the mood, he will initiate rough play by biting the kitten (not hard -- I've never seen any signs of injury or discomfort) and whapping her with his paw (claws not out). When he does this, Caramel will meow and run away, or get on her back and hiss, growl, and wave her claws. Either way, Bagheera will get the message and back away. Sometimes he backs away for good, other times he will back away for 20 seconds and give it another go.

Is this normal behavior at all for a young cat and a kitten? Is this a male-female thing? Is it because Caramel is literally half his size and something she will grow more comfortable with as she gets bigger? Clearly, Bagheera means no harm to the kitten, he just wants a wrestling buddy.