Kitten Doesn’t Purr After Spay!

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
969DE184-E14D-415E-8602-119FC8AFE128.jpeg
3222F9F4-8B01-4F5F-8889-2BBBA74CF5AE.jpeg
Suki was the loudest little purring kitten before she was spayed, but now I barely get anything! Is it from the intubation during surgery? Could she have been traumatized and is now not as happy? Could feral buddy Outlaw have taught her not to purr? That seems unlikely, given the suddenness of the change.

She was spayed in early November, so any throat soreness should be long gone. She acts just as snuggly and happy, just quiet. It’s a bit sad. She’s just shy of four months now.

Is there something I should be doing, or this is just the new Suki? She’s just as loved, just quiet, like her buddy, Outlaw.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's unlikely anything to do with the spaying. Cats change all the time so she could start to purr again..when she feels like it of course.
You have two lovely cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has been traumatized so could take quite a while to recover, more than a month. it may have hurt her for a while to purr from the intubation, so she could be holding back. She'll come around, the only time I have had a cat completely lose it's purr was from severe throat trauma from a dog ripping it's throat. I would bet this will just take more time, cats take a long time to adjust to change and trauma!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give her time. If she is happy and content, she'll purr again. And she may be purring now, just very, very softly. I thought my poor girl was miserable because she "never purred" until one fine day, my hand was in exactly the right position to feel that tiny, soft vibration. She had been purring all along, just as soft as a snowflake's whisper! Now, at 10 years old, she occasionally sounds like a wood chipper when she really gets going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been traumatized so could take quite a while to recover, more than a month. it may have hurt her for a while to purr from the intubation, so she could be holding back. She'll come around, the only time I have had a cat completely lose it's purr was from severe throat trauma from a dog ripping it's throat. I would bet this will just take more time, cats take a long time to adjust to change and trauma!
Oh my baby! That’s what I worried about! I hope she’s ok! I just want her healthy and happy. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give her time. If she is happy and content, she'll purr again. And she may be purring now, just very, very softly. I thought my poor girl was miserable because she "never purred" until one fine day, my hand was in exactly the right position to feel that tiny, soft vibration. She had been purring all along, just as soft as a snowflake's whisper! Now, at 10 years old, she occasionally sounds like a wood chipper when she really gets going.
She does purr, just not as frequently or as loud. She seems very happy and content! I hope she is!