Kitten Doesn't Like Going Into Carrier

NurseToBe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a new Siamese kitten a few months ago and he was very shy. It took him a long time to get used to us. Now, he is almost completely warmed up. He loves us, and he is a joy to have. We are going on vacation in August and the condo we are going to stay at doesn't allow pets. We tried to find some that did, but we didn't have much luck where we are going. Back when we had our other cat, we would bring him to our neighbor's house to take care of him-unfortunately, my neighbors and my other cat have passed away. Now that I have my new kitten, I don't know anyone who would want take care of him or trust anyone to watch over him. My other neighbors are sketchy, so that's out of the question. Most people I know don't like cats, and most of our family lives far. Our only option is to board him. I definitely do not want to leave him home alone. Now, he hates getting into carriers. I bought one of those material carriers, with more space and to where he can see outside all around the carrier. Last time we tried to get him into the carrier for the vet, he scratched my dad up to pieces out of fear. I don't want him to do that this time. I put the carrier on the floor, that way he can get used to it. I just don't want us to have another nightmare trying to get him in when the time comes to bring him. Does anyone know how to help him with this? He's smart. Even putting toys inside and trying to lure him into it doesn't help, because he knows what is going on.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway wipes or spray? Our tabby Trin gets so anxious in his carrier that he rubs his nose raw on the edges of the holes. We found that using the wipes or spray greatly reduces that anxiety.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am with KarenKat on the Feliway suggestion. Also, have you tried putting one of your shirts or other piece of clothing or small blanket with your scent on it into the carrier? I have found this works really well with my boy. I have a grey sweater that I wear frequently, and when it is time for him to go into the carrier, I fold the sweater so it will fit into the carrier, and he goes right in without fighting me.

sonya651

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a new Siamese kitten a few months ago and he was very shy. It took him a long time to get used to us. Now, he is almost completely warmed up. He loves us, and he is a joy to have. We are going on vacation in August and the condo we are going to stay at doesn't allow pets. We tried to find some that did, but we didn't have much luck where we are going. Back when we had our other cat, we would bring him to our neighbor's house to take care of him-unfortunately, my neighbors and my other cat have passed away. Now that I have my new kitten, I don't know anyone who would want take care of him or trust anyone to watch over him. My other neighbors are sketchy, so that's out of the question. Most people I know don't like cats, and most of our family lives far. Our only option is to board him. I definitely do not want to leave him home alone. Now, he hates getting into carriers. I bought one of those material carriers, with more space and to where he can see outside all around the carrier. Last time we tried to get him into the carrier for the vet, he scratched my dad up to pieces out of fear. I don't want him to do that this time. I put the carrier on the floor, that way he can get used to it. I just don't want us to have another nightmare trying to get him in when the time comes to bring him. Does anyone know how to help him with this? He's smart. Even putting toys inside and trying to lure him into it doesn't help, because he knows what is going on.

have you tried top loading soft carriers my cat hated the hard carriers and frnt loading ones now i use a one tha opens at the top and i just drop in him and he likes it better than me trying to force him through the front door