Kitten does not cover after using litter box

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi i have a 5 and a half month old kitten and he hardly ever covers after using the litter tray. He will sometimes give a cursory swipe of some litter nowhere near where he's done his business or a couple of swipes on the floor once he's already out of the litter tray.

My other kitten who is 6 months old often cleans up after him and buries his wee etc as she cannot stand any of the boxes being smelly.

Any advice as to how we can train the kitten to bury his wee? We often take poo out straight away but when we are out obviously it gets left to stink the room out. I don't want to try them with covered tray by the way.

Thanks!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't seem to get the whole burying thing...or, like my girl, they paw everywhere BUT the actual litter :rolleyes:

He may learn from your girl as he grows up, but it may just be something you have to live with. I look on it as a gentle reminder to scoop frequently ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep maybe you're right. I wanted to try and stop the situation of the girl kitten having to clean up after him all the time as am sure she gets frustrated by it! :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes they also don't cover to display their superiority.  Since your girl goes behind and covers it for him, he's probably just being lazy.  LOL

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yep maybe you're right. I wanted to try and stop the situation of the girl kitten having to clean up after him all the time as am sure she gets frustrated by it! :)
Believe it or not, a lot of cats like to tidy the litter box. Many of the cats at the shelter, especially kittens, jump in the boxes while we're scooping and help root around for "treasure". Females seem to do it more often than males. :)