Kitten Difficulties

michealasgrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my very first time fostering a kitten, and evidently I have no idea what the heck I'm doing.

My cat, Calypso, she was a stray when we found her running around our neighborhood (She wasnt even two months old when we noticed her), so we started feeding her and she became part of our cat family. She got pregnant around the time she turned one, and she had 5 kittens. We gave all of them away to good homes. About 8 months later, one of the women we have to cats to (The twins, both black and white) called us and told us her landlord said she could only have 3 cats, so we went and picked him up. His name is Trouble.

Just recently (Like, not even two weeks ago), Calypso had another litter of kittens. This time, it was only three. She set up shop in the bottom cabinet in my moms room. She and the kittens were fine for about 8 days, and then she moved them from the cabinet to under the desk. (We assumed it was to keep them safer and farther away from the door of my moms room, and so it would be harder for my dog to get to them. She doesn't like him much.) Late that night, my mom calls me screaming into her room. Two of the kittens had blood on them and were dead. We didn't know what happened. I had my roommate Briana drive me to the only pet hospital open at 9pm, and they cleaned the kitten, looked at the wounds and told us it was going to be okay. They gave us ointment and some oral antibiotics. I tried to get Calypso to take the kitten back, but she wanted nothing to do with it anymore. The baby now, is alive and well, but I'm having some issues.

I know the baby is hungry, because I see it trying to nurse on the blankets in its box (It's bot a heating pad in there and like, three felt blankets). However, even with all the advice I've gotten from the internet, I cant seem to get it to willingly suck on the nipple from the bottle we have. We bought a kitten nursing kit, so I know the nipples are the right size and all that. It swallows the formula when I put the nipples in its mouth, so I know it has no trouble swallowing, but it refuses to suckle on it? I've gotten it to suckle on it about three times now, if only briefly, but I'm having a difficult time here because I thought kittens were supposed to be rather eager to eat, and this one seems to want nothing to do with it.

I really want to do this right. It was hard enough to lose the other two, I don't want to lose the last one as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michealasgrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For clarification, we know now that it was Trouble that killed the other two kittens, and not Calypso. We knew she didn't do it because the whole time we were at the vet and when we got back, my mom told me that she was looking around the entire house for her kittens. I knew it was Trouble that did it because he came into my room a few days ago and tried to kill this one as well.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe syringe feed the kitten?

Plus the kitten picked up different oders at the vet. When he came home, mom cat didn't recognize him due to the different oder. Maybe try rubbing mom down with. a towel, then rub the kitten with it. Then repeat. Repeatedly. I don't know If this will work, but it is worth a try.

When feeding the kitten, either bottle or syringe, hold the kitten with it's belly facing down, and it's head slightly elevated. Just like when nursing from mom. This will prevent the kitten from aspirating the milk/KMR into it's lungs, which can be lethal due to pneumonia.

Hopefully, more knowledgeable TCS members will also make comments/suggestions.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are syringes you can buy for the purpose of feeding if a bottle does not work. They usually have a special nipple type tip, but the cat does not necessarily need to suckle. If you keep a finger gently on the kitten's throat you will be able to tell if it is swallowing. It is much better to go slowly, even a dribble at a time, than to release the syringe too quickly and flood the kitten with too much liquid.

I was not surprised that Trouble killed the kittens. One of my very favorite male cats ever tried to kill a litter of ferals but I caught him in time. He had even brought a couple of neighborhood males with him for support. If you have to bottle feed the kitten, just go on from here if Calypso will not accept it back, but I have seen mothers accept kittens once the smell changes back to what they recognize.

Keep the kitten away from Trouble indefinitely. It is not like he is thinking "well, I got two of them, so that is enough."

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a shame!

Here’s a helpful video. This kitten needs feeding with a syringe every 2 hours. Hopefully mom will take it back soon.

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Is Trouble neutered? If not he needs to be ASAP. That will calm him down. He sounds like he is going through a transition himself back into your household, and perhaps missing his sibling. Under no circumstance should he have access to this kitten.

Also, please get mama kitty spayed so this will be her last litter.

Keep us posted on things!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michealasgrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a shame!

Here’s a helpful video. This kitten needs feeding with a syringe every 2 hours. Hopefully mom will take it back soon.

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Is Trouble neutered? If not he needs to be ASAP. That will calm him down. He sounds like he is going through a transition himself back into your household, and perhaps missing his sibling. Under no circumstance should he have access to this kitten.

Also, please get mama kitty spayed so this will be her last litter.

Keep us posted on things!
I watched that video the other night, I was syringe feeding the kitten, but the syringe broke. The kitten is taking to the nipple a lot more now since I decided to just feed it while it's still in its warm little box.

We're getting Calypso, Trouble and my dog spayed/neutered at ASPCA soon, and when this baby is old enough, it's going to get fixed too. Trouble has been upset about the fact that he cant come into my room, but since we discovered that he's the one that did it, I haven't even let him upstairs.

Thank you all so much for your replies!