Kitten Diet

Leoyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings,
since im still somewhat new on this forum and to cat ownership itself, i would kindly ask you guys for some reccommendations. My little girl is around 6,5 months now and since i read a lot online about dry feed/ wet feed im wondering if what i do is good for my baby. At the moment shes getting a handfull of Royal Canin Kitten (dry) in the morning ( which i intend to swap to Applaws dry ?) and 3/4 of a Actimonda Carny (wet) in around 4 meals.
Ty a lot. :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general, wet food is better for cats than dry, and raw or home cooked food is even better if it is complete and balanced. If you can, it would be better for your kitten to switch to an all wet diet. But if you want to keep her on dry, look for one that has mostly meat products as the first 5 ingredients and is low in carbs with no grains (also not a lot of potatoes or peas). Dry foods are generally low in moisture and high in carbs, whereas wet is generally high in moisture and low in carbs. This is why wet food is more ideal. Cats are obligate carnivores that need lots of meat protein and very little carbs.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you could measure out the 'handful' of dry that you're giving, that would be better for calculating calorie amounts, and if your kitten is getting enough. And I'm assuming you meant Animonda Carny, in which case you're feeding the right amount according to the feeding instructions (assuming you're using 3/4 of a 400g can, not the 200g cans). Seems like a good feeding schedule, and it's great that you're available to give the meals 4 times a day, since cats prefer several small meals instead of just a couple large meals. Good luck with your cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leoyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you could measure out the 'handful' of dry that you're giving, that would be better for calculating calorie amounts, and if your kitten is getting enough. And I'm assuming you meant Animonda Carny, in which case you're feeding the right amount according to the feeding instructions (assuming you're using 3/4 of a 400g can, not the 200g cans). Seems like a good feeding schedule, and it's great that you're available to give the meals 4 times a day, since cats prefer several small meals instead of just a couple large meals. Good luck with your cat!
Yeah we get the 400g cans, and a handfull is around 10-15g ( i weighed it once). Additionally she does drink like 2 bowls of water a day so i wasnt incredibly worried about the dry food but i wanted to switch to one with higher meat content anyways. Also the dry is more of a 'night' snack, my dad feeds her when he leaves for work which is around 4:30 am.
Shes around 6.4 lbs, and her Vet said thats a healthy weight for her age?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shes around 6.4 lbs, and her Vet said thats a healthy weight for her age?
Almost exactly the weight my orange boy was at that age :) Is she the grey cat in your profile pic? Because that's a gorgeous kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leoyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost exactly the weight my orange boy was at that age :) Is she the grey cat in your profile pic? Because that's a gorgeous kitten.
Yes she is. Not completly solid grey yet but most of the shadow marks she had faded so i think the ones around her tail will aswell. :>