Kitten dies during spay surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dreamharp

I took my rescue kitten Muffin to be spayed and she died during anesthesia.
The vet said this happens in only 1% of cats. Muffin had a exam prior to
surgery and she was 4 1/2 months old. Has anyone else had this happen to one
of their pets? It is very sad and disturbing. I wish I had waited till she was
older but I had no idea this would be the outcome. If anyone has anything
to share about this loss I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou
Dreamharp
It's not your fault...and the fact remains that cats can die during spaying at ANY AGE. That is why our rescue prefers to spay/neuter all our cats/kittens before they are adopted out. We have certainly lost kittens...but we have also been able to successfully spay/neuter many 3 month old kittens. Hissy is right about the fact that she could have had an underlying health issue. Perhaps it would be best to adopt a kitten that has already been spayed...that way you know she has made it succussfully through the procedure.

Katie

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have all my sympathies. It is awful to lose a kitten. I'm sure the vet would be willing to answer all your questions. God bless you, sweetheart.

dozen2luv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chloe went to the vet at 5/12 months to get spayed and returned home. Within a few days she developed a big lump on her spay site. I took her back to the vets and they decided they needed to open her up. It was discovered that a fat pocket had slipped thru her spay incision. Chloe came thru the surgery with flying colors, but her heart stopped in recovery and they could not revive her. The vet offered to find out why as he explained to me that in the hundreds of cats he had done, he didn't lose many. This was his first in a very long time. It was discovered that Chloe had lungs so damaged that she had 20 percent use of them, she would have been lucky to make it to her first birthday. They don't know how she got thru the first time surgery. I do. She needed to come home and tell her best buddy Libby goodbye. I cried for her. I kicked myself for getting her spayed. But the vet tech with her at the time told me that she went quietly and peacefully an ending she would not have had otherwise. It was really hard the next kitten I had spayed and always will be hard. The only thing I regret is that I didn't tell her I loved her or goodbye. So now as they wisk my kittens away it is not until I have said those words. Chloe lived her life like she didn't have a tomorrow, in my heart I knew and she knew too. Everything she did she did with her whole heart, even loving us. Chloe wore her wings before she crossed the bridge! I am sorry for your loss and hope that Muffin meets up with Chloe because Chloe will show her how to fly!! Bless you Muffin and Dreamharp too.

Chloe your buddy Libby says hello!

Dozen2Luv (Regina)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have my sympathies and I know how you feel!

When I was a teenager in the 70's, my parents took my cat, Dusty, to be aborted and spayed. The vet examined her, and found her to be a healthy cat in the early stages of pregnancy. Upon opening her up he discovered that she was not pregnant but had an advanced case of parotinitus. He called my mom to see what she wanted to do, stating that he could still spay her and send her home, but with such a severe case of parotinitus, she would not live long and would be in a lot of pain. Most of her stomach and internal organs were eaten up by the disease. My mom made the only decision that was possible, and Dusty never woke up. The vet told her that he had only seen one case like Dusty's, and that was when he was in schools back in the late 40's or early 50's. He didn't know what caused this but her surmised that it was most likely a chicken bone. DO NOT GIVE YOUR CATS CHICKEN BONES TO CHEW ON!! Her twin brother, Rusty was never the same after that. He mised his companion.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sincere condolences on the loss of your precious kitty. You were doing the right thing by having her spayed. This is so very sad! Hugs to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.