Kitten dies during spay surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamharp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my rescue kitten Muffin to be spayed and she died during anesthesia.
The vet said this happens in only 1% of cats. Muffin had a exam prior to
surgery and she was 4 1/2 months old. Has anyone else had this happen to one
of their pets? It is very sad and disturbing. I wish I had waited till she was
older but I had no idea this would be the outcome. If anyone has anything
to share about this loss I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou
Dreamharp

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dreamharp, THAT IS SO AWFUL!!!!
How tragic! I have had many cats, throughout my 48 years, and there was only once where my cat had a bad experience - she was already 1, and she had a reaction to the anesthesia, and was in the hospital for a week, with pneumonia. I felt so bad till my mom pointed out that had she not been spayed, she might've gotten pregnant, and if she had needed anesthesia during delivery, or at any other time, she would've still had the reaction. This is most unexpected, and my heart cries for you......
You were doing the right thing. The phone call from the vet must have been one of the hardest that they've ever had to make. and how incredibly horrible for you to get such news...
I think that Muffin was plenty old enough for the surgery, so please, please don't blame yourself!!! I think that the outcome might have been the same no matter what age she was. I will light candles for Muffin and for you today.
Hugs, Susan

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry for your loss.
It's hard to lose a pet who has had a good long life, but even harder when they are just a baby and your relationship with them has just begun.
It's possible the kitty had a heart problem or some other kind of defect that caused her premature death. You did the right thing by taking her in to be spayed, please don't beat yourself up about it, and know that Muffin is waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dear Susan:......
my deep condolences about this Tragic event that you pass right now.....

That so sad about your wonderful kittie...
....and you has my thougths....
Today I will make a special prayer for Muffin....I know you never forget him and you keep a great memories on your heart about him....

Believe me, You has a shoulder to rest on me here in Mexico....:alrigth:....
RIP sweet Muffin until you meet to your lovely mommie again...

With all respect to you Susan...
your friend, Rigel...aka CoolCat....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that. You did do the right thing thought, and i dont think it was due to the age.

prissykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh how horrible! I am so sorry!

Did you ask the hospital what kind of anesthesia and monitoring equipment they use? I am aware that a lot of places do not use any kind of monitoring equipment (pulse oximeter, etc.) and those places are usually the ones that do not intubate the animals to provide oxygen and anesthesia - they usually just give them a sedative/paralytic agent and get the surgery done as quickly as possible. I know that vets that do not use monitoring devices during anesthesia and do not provide inhalation anesthesia have a much higher incendence of death intraoperatively. It is worth looking into.

Then again, sometimes even with the best technology money can buy these things will still happen.

I am so sorry, I hope you feel better soon and feel good enough to let another wonderful animal into your life ASAP.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sincerest condolences. I am so sorry
. You just never know... the chance is minuscule, but it's always there anytime a cat, dog, human, whatever, goes under anesthesia.

I remember the breeder of my last Maine Coon telling me that she had lost her prize stud (Best Maine Coon Nationally, and something like 17th best CAT worldwide although this was 20 years ago) during a routine teeth cleaning. I'm sure that this particular vet and facility would have been very good (cats only and in a high rent area) as I doubt she would have tolerated anything less, but ... you just never know

Give it some time, but don't let this deter you from doing the "right thing" with your next kitty. After all, 99.9999999% of routine spays and neuters are just that, routine, and everything will be fine.

Cindy

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

My sincerest condolences. I am so sorry
. You just never know... the chance is minuscule, but it's always there anytime a cat, dog, human, whatever, goes under anesthesia.

I remember the breeder of my last Maine Coon telling me that she had lost her prize stud (Best Maine Coon Nationally, and something like 17th best CAT worldwide although this was 20 years ago) during a routine teeth cleaning. I'm sure that this particular vet and facility would have been very good (cats only and in a high rent area) as I doubt she would have tolerated anything less, but ... you just never know

Give it some time, but don't let this deter you from doing the "right thing" with your next kitty. After all, 99.9999999% of routine spays and neuters are just that, routine, and everything will be fine.

Cindy

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is highly possible there was a underlying health issue this kitten had that hadn't surfaced yet, and unfortunately might have come to the forefront during this routine surgery. Most vets can do this type of surgery in their sleep. I imagine your vet was just as surprised and dismayed to lose one like this.

But don't let this stop you from doing the responsible thing with the next cat. Just play it safe and have a complete blood panel drawn before the surgery so they can find out if there are any problems-

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of this honey *hugs* I lost my dear little Killian back in October the night that he got neutered and I know what you are going through. If you need to talk to anyone I am always around on here, email or AIM. I know that it sounds horrible but it may help to go get another kitty. I got Finnegan a week after Killian died and he took my mind off of my sadness. I really think that Killian sent him to be with me and I love him dearly even though I still miss Killian.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry. What a painful thing to happen, and of course you will be afraid to have another cat spayed. (We all worry when they undergo surgery!) Just remember that you did your best for this kitten. Also, if she didn't have your care, she probably would have ended up pregnant, and that is much more likely to cause death than a spay surgery.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Losses are always difficult, but for it to be so sudden and unexpected makes it more difficult. Condolences.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoyalEnchntrss

I am so sorry to hear of this honey *hugs* I lost my dear little Killian back in October the night that he got neutered and I know what you are going through. If you need to talk to anyone I am always around on here, email or AIM. I know that it sounds horrible but it may help to go get another kitty. I got Finnegan a week after Killian died and he took my mind off of my sadness. I really think that Killian sent him to be with me and I love him dearly even though I still miss Killian.
Stacy, that is so beautiful!
my hubby is prob. wondering why I'm crying at the computer..What a beautiful sentiment, that Killian sent Finnegan; I really believe that it's true!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always a worry - my vet waited to spay Persil so she would be stronger for the surgery after her previous op. He was concerned about the effect of anaesthetic. But the vast majority of spays go through fine, and I am sure there was nothing you could have done to prevent it. That being said, I know how guilty you must feel, without reason, as it was you who took her in to be done. But it is likely that there was some underlying problem that would have surfaced sooner or later. I am so sorry.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. As everyone else has told you, don't let this stop you from having another kitty spayed or neutered in the future. My htoughts are with you.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so heartbreaking
I am so sorry about the unexpected loss of your sweet baby. Will be keeping you in my thoughts.

RIP Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.