Kitten diarrhea

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been rescuing kitten for a bit long time from now but they die after pooping loose stool with blood often in it. Almost 99% kittens die. I have been giving them probiotics and antibiotic syrup but results are zero. Royal can in milk I am feeding to them but all kitten ran into diarrhea after drinking royal canin milk. Their belly get swollen like filled with gas then diarrhea and ultimately they expire. I rescue them and feed them but i felt more guilty when i see them dying. Any tip or medication than can help stop kitten diarrhea?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens you rescue? Newborn or older?

Starving kittens probably need to be fed sugar or honey water via syringe and just 1mL at a time and very slowly once an hour until they warm up and can take formula. Then, formula must be given a little at a time as well until you see how the kitten is doing. Goats milk may be more tolerable than formula. It also depends on age.

Kittens with bloody diarrhea usually have worms and/or parasites that need treating with prescription meds.

Your best bet may be to take stray kittens to a no-kill shelter for help if you cannot afford vet care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are 2 to 4 weeks old. They weigh between 150 to 400g. I offer them honey only if they are hypothermic in small amount like 0.2ml in syringe drop wise. Actually, not all kittens are sick when I rescue them. Few are very healthy and active and weigh about 600mg if offer them chicken but after 2 days they start diarrhea and die. I need to know if you have used any medicine which has good results in kitten diarrhea. Flagyle has not not results as my experience. I also give cephradine syp orally but has no results.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You offer them chicken? What form of chicken? Two to 4 week old kittens need liquids only - kitten formula or goats milk is preferred. They would have been on mom’s milk only before you took them in.

What form and strength of Flagyl have you been using, and what is cephradine syrup?

Something is not right here.

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once their weight crosses 550g, I start them feeding blend chicken in small amount once a day and offer them royal canin milk at night because I think after crossing 550g weight, a kitten is near to wean and once a day blend chicken will help develop new microbs in kitten gut so that as kitten are weaned at 850g weight they have abundand microbs in their gut to digest chicken which will be going to kittens next diet after weaning.

Kittens below 500g weight, I offer them royal canin milk only with particular intervals and in particular amount as per recommendation based on kitten weight. But, they develop diarrhea and die before reaching weaning age. At this weight (100g to 500g) we are also reluctant to give any medicine. We can offer them yugort as probiotic source and minimize amount of milk..I did all this but they still die. You know, how much effort it take to feed kitten every half an hour 0.5ml milk but I am doing that effort..issue is results are zero..They still die after all hardwork.

What should I do to make them live ??

I like your suggestion of goat milk..will try it soon. Hope it will work

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will definitely give it a try..thank you so very much...one more thing, at what weight should I deworm kitten?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am seeing age-based advice that says around 8 weeks, although another viable resource suggests it can be done at an earlier age.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be dewormed at two weeks. Are you diluting the Royal Canin milk in tap water? It's possible that's contaminated; you may want to dilute a fresh batch in unflavored pedialyte instead. How quickly after receiving the kittens do they start showing symptoms or dying? I would not give them any chicken, or really anything beyond KMR and (later) kitten food. What is your decontamination protocol for your kitten room between litters?

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens can be dewormed at two weeks. Are you diluting the Royal Canin milk in tap water? It's possible that's contaminated; you may want to dilute a fresh batch in unflavored pedialyte instead. How quickly after receiving the kittens do they start showing symptoms or dying? I would not give them any chicken, or really anything beyond KMR and (later) kitten food. What is your decontamination protocol for your kitten room between litters?
I dilute royal canin in tap water. As royal canin gave zero result, now I have imported KMR from USA. I had fed it to one kitten 2 weeks old but its belly got swollen as was with royal canin. I clean the floor with tap water and then wipes it. Sometimes I add phenyle in water before cleaning but rarely. I deworm only those kitten who are atleast 1.5 months and has worms in diarrhea.

Once I myself drank tap water and I got watery diarrhea. Something is wrong with tap water also you figured out right👏

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I would definitely switch to bottled water or pedialyte for dilution, and use a bleach-based cleaner on surfaces the kittens may have come into contact with. Deworming is recommended for all kittens starting at 4 weeks (or as young as two weeks), even if they don't have diarrhea. A broad dewormer like fenbendazole to cover worms and toltrazuril for coccidia would be ideal.

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I would definitely switch to bottled water or pedialyte for dilution, and use a bleach-based cleaner on surfaces the kittens may have come into contact with. Deworming is recommended for all kittens starting at 4 weeks (or as young as two weeks), even if they don't have diarrhea. A broad dewormer like fenbendazole to cover worms and toltrazuril for coccidia would be ideal.
Thank you. I will do all this in future. What medicine should I use in kittens that are in diarrhea?

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescue one more kitten yesterday night. Its about 1.5month old. I offered him cerelac rice at night. But when I get up today's morning, whole cage was filled with diarrhea. Kindly see the pic..its happening to most kitten..they start diarrhea when in a day or two and then die..even I fed royal canin milk, KMR, cerelac rice result into diarrhea

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
At 1 and 1/2 months old the kittens should be able to eat solid food, but I don't think cerelac rice is the best thing to feed them. It contains cow's milk and sugar and if you are diluting it with the same tap water that caused problems with the Royal Canin milk it's going to make them sick.

The best thing to feed them is goats milk if you can get it, but at 6 weeks they should be able to eat something like boiled, chopped chicken or other meat as well.

Are there any vets in your area? The kittens may have picked up some disease which means that whatever you feed them they're going to get sick and die.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where did this kitten come from? Do you know if it had diarrhea before you got it? It's extremely worrying that these kittens are getting diarrhea almost immediately after entering your house -- I wouldn't take in any other kittens until I figured out what might be going on. You definitely want to be bleaching EVERYTHING between kittens.
In the picture, what is the white liquid? Is that food or did it come out of the kitten?
Thank you. I will do all this in future. What medicine should I use in kittens that are in diarrhea?
It would be helpful to know where you're located, since different areas have different endemic pathogens.

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where did this kitten come from? Do you know if it had diarrhea before you got it? It's extremely worrying that these kittens are getting diarrhea almost immediately after entering your house -- I wouldn't take in any other kittens until I figured out what might be going on. You definitely want to be bleaching EVERYTHING between kittens.
In the picture, what is the white liquid? Is that food or did it come out of the kitten?

It would be helpful to know where you're located, since different areas have different endemic pathogens.
Actually there are two questions, first, why is diarrhea there in my home to every kitten? So far, what I have figure out from this discission is that I am lacking in deworming and bleaching and using pedialyte or bottle water for dilution of milk replacer. Today, I have dewormed all kittens which are diarrheic or not. I have not bleached building yet, kindly tell me bleach name? Is it cloth washing bleach or what? I will dilute in bottle water but still not started this.
Second question of this thread is what to do if diarrhea has started? One thing I learned from you all in this regard is to change milk with goat milk. If it still not work, as I have changed royal canin with KMR but still got diarrhea. Then with cerelac rise but still same diarrhea just color of it changes to yellow light. Any medicine you have tried in kittens diarrhea which worked? Please share
My location is Pakistan. And kittens rescued are usually those who got separated from their mother( these kittens are usually healthy but after feeding royal canin they get diarrhea) other kittens are diseased once found at dirty market places (these kittens have eye inflamed with pus discharge and are weak.they also get diarrhea after drinking royal canin milk). Main issue I am facing is Diarrhea. I have brought queen along with kittens to foster them. As long as, kittens are on mother milk, they mostly live healthy, 2 out of 5 get digestive issues like swollen belly( they usually die after days or two once showing symptoms like swollen belly, fecal color and texture changes). So far, whatever I have brought to my home, either healthy or ill, all get diarrhea and die. 0% success rate. Symptoms before dying usually are, diarrhea watery, sometimes bloody, some yellowish, somtimes tapeworms in it about inches long, sometimes round, very active worms in feces as well as in vomit maybe, swollen belly specially in small kittens, off feed, dehydration, hind bones very prominent and then die. See pic of syp I give in diarrhea..not much effective at all and kitten salivate it out any oral medicine..I am big failure so far in kittens😥

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you continuing to use tap water? Please use only bottled water for anything to do with the kittens. You said your tap water has made even you sick.

Albon cures coccidia, which is a parasite. Worms are killed with pyrantel pamoate (pin worms, round worms, hook worms), and praziquantel kills tape worms. If mom has worms the kittens will have worms. Worming meds are given once, and again a week later to kill the life cycle. The treatment may be repeated if necessary.

It seems a combination of parasites, worms, and bad water are the culprits, along with kittens being born of stray mothers who eat garbage and end up with parasites and worms.

I suggest that you treat for such issues the very first day you get the kittens and cats.,