Kitten Diarrhea Help

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 1/2 month old kitten that I got about a month ago and her diet has been a struggle. I read blogs, talk to the vet, people at pet stores but I need some straight forward advice. My goal had been to put her on raw food. She came to me underweight and only eating wet food. I did a poor job of transitioning her diet slowly because she loved the raw food so much and I was anxious to help her put on some weight - as a result we had some diarrhea but it was explainable. Then she got sick for two days without reason and was throwing up stomach bile. I took her to the vet, they ran all the tests, stool samples - everything checked out negative and otherwise healthy. The vet talked me out of the raw food until she gets older - put her on a bland diet for a week, gave anti diarrhea and anti nausea meds and all was well. I then transitioned her back to regular wet food per the vets instructions, and some dry food. Two weeks later we went back for a check up and stool sample was still a little soft but vet said it was okay and she was up to her normal weight. The vet did ask me to pick just two kinds of wet food (I've been getting an assortment). I have been giving her Wellness Core, Instinct, Nulo wet food. For dry I've mixed Purina Pro for kittens (from Vet) and Instinct Original Chicken for kittens. I have also added a probiotic from the Vet from Purina - Microflora and some Firm Up Pumpkin Powder from MudBay. But the diareah returned yesterday and today. What am I doing wrong? Is Lola really that sensitive to various wet foods? I cooked some rice tonight and fed her that - we will see what happens. She drinks plenty of water. Am I supposed to just feed her the exact same thing everyday? My other cat was not this sensitive so I feel a little lost a bit of a failure. I am so tired of cleaning her little tush before she runs round the house after potty time. Sorry for the long post. Any help?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright:. Bless you for rescuing that kitten! diarrhea can be an exhausting battle. First, is her litter fragrance free? Odd as it sounds, I was able to help several cat owners simply by having them switch litters.In your case, it seems to be food related but I wanted to make sure. Also, the best wiping is done with plain water (I use cotton makeup squares) or if the skin is irritated, a mild baking soda wash.
Next, have you rebalanced her electrolytes?
How long are you giving her gut a chance to calm down? My vet still promotes the boiled meat (chicken breast or hamburger) and white rice diet for several days. A little plain canned pumpkin can be added.
You can ask the vet about using slippery elm decocotion. If you use SE, keep in mind that the soothing herbal coating can prevent adequate absorption of medications so plan to administer those doses 4-6 hours apart.
Portion sizes should be smaller yet more frequent.
Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:alright:. Bless you for rescuing that kitten! diarrhea can be an exhausting battle. First, is her litter fragrance free? Odd as it sounds, I was able to help several cat owners simply by having them switch litters.In your case, it seems to be food related but I wanted to make sure. Also, the best wiping is done with plain water (I use cotton makeup squares) or if the skin is irritated, a mild baking soda wash.
Next, have you rebalanced her electrolytes?
How long are you giving her gut a chance to calm down? My vet still promotes the boiled meat (chicken breast or hamburger) and white rice diet for several days. A little plain canned pumpkin can be added.
You can ask the vet about using slippery elm decocotion. If you use SE, keep in mind that the soothing herbal coating can prevent adequate absorption of medications so plan to administer those doses 4-6 hours apart.
Portion sizes should be smaller yet more frequent.
Please keep us updated!
Catsknowme - thank you for the suggestions. It is some I have not heard yet. Her litter is unscented - Dr. Elsey's. Her stool this morning was very soft but forming instead of watery which is an improvement from yesterday. I think the rice and pumpkin I gave her last night may be helping. I have a chicken breast ready to cook for her today. The last time I let her gut rest was one week - after she had been throwing up. Haven't had to do it since but I had been told one full week was good. Have not rebalanced her electrolytes - her behavior is all still kitty like. She is happy ( I hope) playful, sleeps normal, normal appearance. I had never heard of slippery elm - thank you for sharing that nugget of info.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my own experience, I find simple is best when it comes to food. I feed a single brand of dry and two brands of wet, on a regular schedule. Is there any particular reason you are mixing the dry food, or using so many different brands?

If she isn't on parasite preventative, for worms at least, I would definitely consider talking to your vet about putting her on some. Worms can cause loose stool and weight loss too. Best of luck!

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I recently was helping a friend with Kittens and she had similar poop issues. Did all the tests, nothing. Well second poop test was positive for giardia, since they apparently come out in Episodes, like every third poop or so.
I would try to test two more stool samples. If the kitten has giardia you need to make Sure that He does not eat any kind of grain since they feed on carbs.
But I really hope its not bc getting rid of those is a mess :)

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my own experience, I find simple is best when it comes to food. I feed a single brand of dry and two brands of wet, on a regular schedule. Is there any particular reason you are mixing the dry food, or using so many different brands?

If she isn't on parasite preventative, for worms at least, I would definitely consider talking to your vet about putting her on some. Worms can cause loose stool and weight loss too. Best of luck!
Thanks so much for the reply and I am thinking simple diet is probably the best idea for her too. She wouldn't eat any dry food when I got her. She would refuse to eat so I bought a couple brands to see if she'd like one but the only way she will eat either of them is if I mix it with wet food. So yes, I can just pick one dry brand. The only reason for the wet food variety is simply becasue in the past I had cats that got tired of the same two flavors or formulas after awhile unless I mixed things up with different kinds of wet food. Clearly this little kitty is going to be different. She has been cleared of any worms or parasites- that was the first thing I asked the vet to check. All tests came back negative and she is up to date on all vaccinations. She is an indoor cat only. This feels diet related. I am also wondering if a different probiotic would serve her better than the Purina one. Thank you!

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I recently was helping a friend with Kittens and she had similar poop issues. Did all the tests, nothing. Well second poop test was positive for giardia, since they apparently come out in Episodes, like every third poop or so.
I would try to test two more stool samples. If the kitten has giardia you need to make Sure that He does not eat any kind of grain since they feed on carbs.
But I really hope its not bc getting rid of those is a mess :)
Oh wow. That is interesting. I had asked about parasites not showing up in every stool sample (was told they absolutely do) but didn't think to ask about giardia. I hope it's not the case but I'd rather know about it. Thank you for this information.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
upsetmilk upsetmilk is right - it could be giardia which is episodic. Testing the diarrhea should be the right time to get positive results (I have had giardia myself). Some people and cats get good results with S.boulardi probiotic.

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. That is interesting. I had asked about parasites not showing up in every stool sample (was told they absolutely do) but didn't think to ask about giardia. I hope it's not the case but I'd rather know about it. Thank you for this information.

I really really hope its not bc that would mean a lot of work. Washing/steaming all fabrics atvat least 60°C, boiling the food bowls and also changig out and washing the litter box daily. This is to prevent a new infection. Good luck!

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention something. It is rare but can be caused by raw meat. Campylobacter. This one is okay in small amounts but increased amounts are dangerous and cause similar symptoms. It can also infect humans and in many countries has to be reported to the State Veterinarian and health authorities. Thats maybe also something to be on the lookout for.

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
upsetmilk upsetmilk is right - it could be giardia which is episodic. Testing the diarrhea should be the right time to get positive results (I have had giardia myself). Some people and cats get good results with S.boulardi probiotic.
I just went through her last round of test results - they did test for giardia and it was negative. But I am hearing it may not show up in every stool sample? Also, I have heard good things about S.Boulardi - might be time to try that. Thank you.

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention something. It is rare but can be caused by raw meat. Campylobacter. This one is okay in small amounts but increased amounts are dangerous and cause similar symptoms. It can also infect humans and in many countries has to be reported to the State Veterinarian and health authorities. Thats maybe also something to be on the lookout for.
Great - I will have to look into that too. I reviewed Lola's test results from the vet and they did test for giardia and it came back negative.

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a semi good day yesterday and a better evening, Lola woke up this morning with watery diarrhea. I am so frustrated that I can't sort this our for her. Yesterdays diet was boiled chicken with rice, some wet/dry food and her probiotic. Her last "movement" before bedtime was formed, semi soft but an improvement. She doesn't eat at night so why the diarrhea this morning?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early a.m. diarrhea might be caused by continued gut inflammation. My vet will often do a trial run of metronidazole or amoxicillin for these stubborn cases and see if resolution happens in a few days. Prior to that, though, we will have done a gut-calming bland diet of meat & boiled rice broth for 24 hours followed by gradually adding more meat and rice. I would also feed in much smaller but more frequent meals. She may have poultry sensitivity so you could switch to boiled hamburger instead. I would also hold off on adding probiotics for awhile. I completely commiserate with you - you have the patience of a saint in dealing with this. With IBS/IBD in humans, the situation is equally frustrating. :dunno::gaah::frustrated:

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Early a.m. diarrhea might be caused by continued gut inflammation. My vet will often do a trial run of metronidazole or amoxicillin for these stubborn cases and see if resolution happens in a few days. Prior to that, though, we will have done a gut-calming bland diet of meat & boiled rice broth for 24 hours followed by gradually adding more meat and rice. I would also feed in much smaller but more frequent meals. She may have poultry sensitivity so you could switch to boiled hamburger instead. I would also hold off on adding probiotics for awhile. I completely commiserate with you - you have the patience of a saint in dealing with this. With IBS/IBD in humans, the situation is equally frustrating. :dunno::gaah::frustrated:
Thank you. When I saw the diarrhea this morning I started to wonder if it isn't only diet related again. I have a call into my vet now to go over some of these new possibilities. Other than the diarrhea she is perfectly normal. Eats as much as I will let her, runs around crazy, sleeps, drinks plenty of water (thank you water fountain) but I am worried about dehydration if this continues. I am so tired of the cleaning up but she is so tired of me washing her tush. I just want her gut to be sorted out for the both of us.

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you continuing electrolyte support by giving unflavored Pedialyte?
Yes, we are although it's been tough to get her to drink it. It seems the only liquids she trusts come out of her water fountain.

vickied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 1/2 month old kitten that I got about a month ago and her diet has been a struggle. I read blogs, talk to the vet, people at pet stores but I need some straight forward advice. My goal had been to put her on raw food. She came to me underweight and only eating wet food. I did a poor job of transitioning her diet slowly because she loved the raw food so much and I was anxious to help her put on some weight - as a result we had some diarrhea but it was explainable. Then she got sick for two days without reason and was throwing up stomach bile. I took her to the vet, they ran all the tests, stool samples - everything checked out negative and otherwise healthy. The vet talked me out of the raw food until she gets older - put her on a bland diet for a week, gave anti diarrhea and anti nausea meds and all was well. I then transitioned her back to regular wet food per the vets instructions, and some dry food. Two weeks later we went back for a check up and stool sample was still a little soft but vet said it was okay and she was up to her normal weight. The vet did ask me to pick just two kinds of wet food (I've been getting an assortment). I have been giving her Wellness Core, Instinct, Nulo wet food. For dry I've mixed Purina Pro for kittens (from Vet) and Instinct Original Chicken for kittens. I have also added a probiotic from the Vet from Purina - Microflora and some Firm Up Pumpkin Powder from MudBay. But the diareah returned yesterday and today. What am I doing wrong? Is Lola really that sensitive to various wet foods? I cooked some rice tonight and fed her that - we will see what happens. She drinks plenty of water. Am I supposed to just feed her the exact same thing everyday? My other cat was not this sensitive so I feel a little lost a bit of a failure. I am so tired of cleaning her little tush before she runs round the house after potty time. Sorry for the long post. Any help?
I have a 12 year old rescue that i got when she was 4 months old. She has had chronic diarrhea all her life. She has been tested multiple times for everything under the sun and mostly all have come back negative. They have treated her multiple times for everything that might affect her gastro tract and nothing has helped. Food restrictions, food changes, again all kinds of diets both wet and dry. I have found that the fewer things she eats the better she is. And dry food is not the best for her, because then she drinks a lot more water and the stool is almost pure liquid. Almost any treat she is given causes problems so she gets no treats. And stress can aggravate her condition too. She recently lost her best friend, another rescue that was seventeen and got intestinal cancer. After he passed, I took her in for one more ultrasound (her 3rd or 4th) and finally they realized that she was born with part of her colon missing so food just goes thru much faster. And she if very finicky about many foods. For now she gets Fancy Feast gluten free beef or chicken pate. No gravies, no seniors, none of the stuff with spinach or anything like that. But I did find that if I had Benefiber to her wet food, she has much better poop. Benefiber is tasteless and odorless so they don't know they are eating it. (Pumpkin has never helped her). And I leave the wet food out for her to snack on for about 4 hours because she just eats small amounts at a time. Her brother (littermate) also had chronic diarrhea as a kitten but he no longer does. His was mediated with Hills Prescription Diet W/D dry food. This food is for overweight, diabetic cats, which he is not, but it has a very high fiber content, so it keeps his poop regular. I also have his dry food metered by an automatic feeder that only puts out the amount he needs to eat, three times daily. This helps to keep his food from coming back up as he will eat too fast and too much otherwise.

vickied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 12 year old rescue that i got when she was 4 months old. She has had chronic diarrhea all her life. She has been tested multiple times for everything under the sun and mostly all have come back negative. They have treated her multiple times for everything that might affect her gastro tract and nothing has helped. Food restrictions, food changes, again all kinds of diets both wet and dry. I have found that the fewer things she eats the better she is. And dry food is not the best for her, because then she drinks a lot more water and the stool is almost pure liquid. Almost any treat she is given causes problems so she gets no treats. And stress can aggravate her condition too. She recently lost her best friend, another rescue that was seventeen and got intestinal cancer. After he passed, I took her in for one more ultrasound (her 3rd or 4th) and finally they realized that she was born with part of her colon missing so food just goes thru much faster. And she if very finicky about many foods. For now she gets Fancy Feast gluten free beef or chicken pate. No gravies, no seniors, none of the stuff with spinach or anything like that. But I did find that if I had Benefiber to her wet food, she has much better poop. Benefiber is tasteless and odorless so they don't know they are eating it. (Pumpkin has never helped her). And I leave the wet food out for her to snack on for about 4 hours because she just eats small amounts at a time. Her brother (littermate) also had chronic diarrhea as a kitten but he no longer does. His was mediated with Hills Prescription Diet W/D dry food. This food is for overweight, diabetic cats, which he is not, but it has a very high fiber content, so it keeps his poop regular. I also have his dry food metered by an automatic feeder that only puts out the amount he needs to eat, three times daily. This helps to keep his food from coming back up as he will eat too fast and too much otherwise.
Sorry - I accidently clicked post without finishing. Benefiber should be added slowly if you decide to use it. My vet said it would be fine and suggested I start with 1/2 tsp. I actually started with 1/4 which did help some but now she gets 1/2 tsp mixed in about 2/3 of the small FF cans(twice a day) and more benefiber sprinkled on top. She licks it right off and then eats. I have experimented with metering her food intake, but that does not work for her. Her brother gets the other 1/3 of the can with a sprinkle of Benefiber on it, mostly because he will walk away from his food anyway and I don't want her to eat anything without the Benefiber in it. She has gone from a belly that was always distended and full of gas and water and explosive diarrhea to occasional accidents but mostly firm enough poop to not be on the severe end of the poop spectrum.

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
QUICK UPDATE: Lola's most recent stool sample still came back negative for everything, ova, giardia, any parasites. She has about two bowel movements a day now and one can be semi formed but very soft with the second being mostly unformed and more watery. Food is simple with mostly wet food, small portions fed four times a day. I'll add some Instinct dry food or a little cooked rice for two of those feedings. I am sticking with the probiotics but because I am admittedly impatient I just switched to the highly recommended Nutramax Proviable-DC Capsules Cat Supplement instead of the Purina Fortiflora Cat Probiotic Powder Supplement, Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements Probiotic Cat Supplement. Any thoughts on either of these?