kitten developed symptoms

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten just got his first vaccine few hours ago. At first he seemed ok but now is lethargic and just wants to sleep. When i picked him up he started hissing when i touched his right shoulder i first thought he injured himself while playing and jumping around but then i also noticed a slight limp on his right side where the painful shoulder is and if i remember correctly thats the area where the vet gave him the shot. He ate but now just keeps sleeping. Is this normal ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a reaction to the injection, and of course it is sore where they gave it. Make sure the vet is aware of this, cats often get lethargic and some refuse to eat for a couple of days. As long as he is eating some, drinking, and using the litterbox he should be OK. Encourage drinking, that would get it around his system faster. Different vaccines give different reactions too. Some make them more lethargic than others, for my Casper it was the rabies vaccine. He should be fine in a couple of days......PS he has also been through a traumatic time too at the vets. so of course he will be coming down from that. Cats do not like change, and that was a big one!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call the vet and let them know.
I would also look for another vet. Cats are not supposed to be vaccinated in the shoulder area. This has been for the last 20 years at least. They are supposed to be vaccinated down the leg and have it noted in case they develope a sarcoma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would also look for another vet. Cats are not supposed to be vaccinated in the shoulder area. This has been for the last 20 years at least. They are supposed to be vaccinated down the leg and have it noted in case they develope a sarcoma.
After i came home from work he acts normal now so i guess it was a reaction from the vaccine.thanks anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would add that the vaccine he got is called feligen rcp. He didnt get a rabies vaccine because its not mandatory