Kitten Developed Retinal Detachment In Eyes

Ameissn99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 2 month old kitten only 2 weeks ago. About 4 days ago, I noticed him slowly getting down from the bed, searching for toys, missing his scratching post. His eyes were dilated and he was having trouble seeing. This happened overnight. Since we got him he has been the perfect kitten. Very playful and affectionate. He’s still all those things, but now can’t see. We are waiting for results from the blood test he got today. Very scared to hear the cause of this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This article has some pretty good information in it. There are just so many causes, and so many outcomes.

Separation of the Inner Lining of the Eye in Cats | petMD

He's seen the vet, evidently. No, I don't have direct experience with actual retinal detachment with any of the cats in my life, past or present, but I do have experience with blind cats and kittens, and I can tell you that once any medical issues are cleared up, a blind cat can have just as good a quality of life as a sighted one. You might find this video comforting:
My Cat From Heaven: Four Blind Cats - My Cat From Hell | Animal Planet

You will, should he lose his sight completely, want to make a few adjustments. Don't leave things lying in previously open paths and areas is the big one. That and investing in toys that make some sort of noise, even a subtle one. Da Bird can have a bell attached to it, for instance.

Should your kitten lose his sight, rest assured that he will adjust to his new normal much faster than you will, and with far less stress. He won't consider what used to be, only what is, and will be happy and well-adjusted, and just as active as a sighted cat.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping the little guys in my thoughts and prayers. Do let us know what you find out. :crossfingers: