Kitten cries every time I leave the house, also might be able to open doors

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever I leave the house, Hester sits by the door and meows. Apparently she's been doing this practically since we got her, my husband tells me. She and Hugo have been left alone overnight before (with friends coming in to feed them) and they haven't done anything that indicates they're distressed--no knocking things down or destroying anything, no going outside the litter tray, they eat and drink normally. Still, both my husband and my mother, who's visiting, have told me that Hester cries by the door when I go. A few days ago, she managed to jump up and grab the door handle--it's a handle not a knob--and clung to it for a good ten to twenty seconds. My husband took a video. Now he's worried that she will manage to get the door open and escape, several times she's darted past us when the door had been open but since we have an enclosed entryway she hasn't got very far. Also, we have small windows above our big ones that we usually keep cracked open to get some fresh air in the house. Last night, Hester jumped up and caught the bottom of the open window and was trying to pull herself up. Husband caught her and shut the window, but now he's more worried. Hester is only 6 months old so too young to go out on her own and in any case I'd prefer to keep her inside full stop. I've started taking her out with a harness and lead for short walks, hoping that this will satisfy her, but she's still crying when I go out. Obviously I can't stay in the house all the time and we really need to be able to keep some windows cracked or it gets really stuffy and humid inside. There are no window screens on UK houses, so we would have to install special ones and get out landlord's permission, which may not be possible and is decidedly expensive. Do you think she will grow out of this? Is there anything I can do to reassure her that there's no reason to be upset, and I will always come home? Is there a chance she will learn to open the door? Is it a good idea to keep taking her for walks? Thanks :)