Kitten Crazy After Spay

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my babies is beside herself since getting spayed. She’s a very vocal and loyal Siamese and she won’t calm down or take it easy so I secluded her and now she cries for hours and when checked on after I woke up she didn’t seem to be resting and began crying again. How can I help her stay calm and not cry?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Both of mine did this. The first time, with my girl, I thought it was a reaction to the pain meds, but I've noticed they are both like it after any surgery (spay, neuter, teeth). I think it's a reaction to the anaesthetic, in their cases.
However it could also be that she is in pain. Did they give pain meds? It's really important. And a call to the vet would probably be a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of mine did this. The first time, with my girl, I thought it was a reaction to the pain meds, but I've noticed they are both like it after any surgery (spay, neuter, teeth). I think it's a reaction to the anaesthetic, in their cases.
However it could also be that she is in pain. Did they give pain meds? It's really important. And a call to the vet would probably be a good idea.
Since I was a foster parent that adopted I kinda had to go off what they give to the rescue and no pain meds were included. I’m thinking if I can’t help her calm down soon I’ll take them to my vet to get pain meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't wait too long to get some pain meds. If she is in pain, there could be long term effects of her feeling that way and how she relates it to you, other people, and perhaps other cats.

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, we ended up taking her as soon as the vet opened. Unfortunately it did not help her loudness and neediness but she is more comfortable

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is great news!! Having some comfort and being without pain might take a while to work its charm on the rest of her behavior. Not to mention letting the hormones wear off after being spayed.

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long ago was she spayed? My two lady siamese went totally bonkers after the spay but only for the first day - I think it was a reaction to the anesthesic.

You're going to struggle shutting siamese away.
They need their human companions and will make quite a scene if shut away from them when they know you're in the house. I think the best way to keep her calm is to let her be out with you. I did with mine and never had a cone on them. They did run and jump a bit but suffered no ill effects from their activity.

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea we are keeping the other kitten whose much calmer secluded and Cleo is gonna run the house. It’s been about 24 hours. She’s still very active, the only reason they have cones is they licked a lot.

How long ago was she spayed? My two lady siamese went totally bonkers after the spay but only for the first day - I think it was a reaction to the anesthesic.

You're going to struggle shutting siamese away.
They need their human companions and will make quite a scene if shut away from them when they know you're in the house. I think the best way to keep her calm is to let her be out with you. I did with mine and never had a cone on them. They did run and jump a bit but suffered no ill effects from their activity.