Kitten countdown - Mau babies

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Skylark has been moved up to the nursery room and has chosen a corner to sleep in.. I am giving her a few safe spots to choose from because last time she tricked me and had the kittens in a crawl space. She also moved the kittens once, but usually she is a very friendly mom; purring her head off as I took each kitten out to be weighed. Just like she was proud of them, and herself.

The ultrasound vet saw three on one screen, then another two on a different pass - he thinks 3 to 6, but can't be positive. Her first litter was 6 but two didn't make it. Her daughter, now a CFA grand champion, just had 6 kittens the other day! I find that funny since Safiya, the kitten I kept is still in kitten mode and hasn't started cycling at all.

The countdown is 12 days to her 'expected' due date.. April 2nd.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope she has a smooth delivery and healthy bubs, congrats to the other girl you bred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great news today! My soon to be new cat, GC Emau's Dirty Dancing of Azshara granded over the weekend with her breeder showing her. I pick her up April 24th, and there is a chance she will come bred to a really, really nice stud who is headed overseas after April. If her cycles don't match up, she'll be bred to my stud after she settles in here and cycles. Either way, I will be having 2 batches of kittens in the near future...

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel your joy, as I have one litter at age 1 week and another due in less than 4 weeks. I love this whole process.

Good luck with your breeding family. I know that showing and gaining titles is so gratifying. It goes to show that we are breeding quality felines and we care so much for the breed.

I have two champions, but we can't go to the next show in April because we're due for more babies the same weekend.

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to see the babies when they arrive! I really like the look of the Mau and hope you'll share them growing up with us

Good luck to Skylark!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kintracks says Sky's due date is tomorrow. She is in her nursery room and has three nests to choose from. She has pawed the bedding out of two spots so I have cut down some boxes to ensure the bedding stays in place. I think she'll choose the closet, so the whole place is bedded.

Poor cat is hugely round and she doesn't look comfortable, but she purrs up a storm when I visit with her.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have posted a webcam to keep an eye on her while I am at work. She is moving around a lot and trying to stretch herself out on the floor. I think she is fairly uncomfortable. I can see that she is breathing a bit heavily... I'm wondering if the kittens are compressing her ribs.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She could also be breathing heavily if she's in labor.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
March 30 was day 60 after her first day of mating. I mated her for three days.

So she is on day 61, and typically birth occurs between 60 to 67 days after mating. She could technically hold out another week, but I hope she goes soon. She doesn't seem very comfortable.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Mau's tended to go a bit longer than the usual 60-67?

Oci's are normally 65, counted 24hrs after mating.

Good luck

I will check out your webcam later, I set up an account there too after another Mau breeder gave me her link.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, I found the site after searching for webcam sites and it is really easy and simple to use. I really like it. My friends and family have gone on to check on Sky and they are able to find my link easily. I wish my webcam wasn't so grainy, but it needs more light to increase the resolution.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A mentor of mine says probably not until the weekend, but she is VERY large so she may birth a bit earlier as she can only stretch so far

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard watching them not being able to get comfortable. I have a beached whale here
with still about 17 days to go, I don't know how she can get any bigger.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I left her 11 month old daughter Safiya in with her today for company, and my sister posted to the video stream, "No wonder she was so huge, look at the size of the kitten she had!"