Kitten coughing

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey, everyone.

Charlie has been coughing lately. It's not consistent, maybe three or four coughs in a row. I noticed usually it's either early morning or late at night when this happens. It's not consistent so it doesn't happen a lot at all. His nose is off and on cold/wet, but has been dry (which could be weather related, I suppose.)

He's eating. He has a VERY good appetite.
He sleeps a bit, but he's not lethargic at all. He plays with the other cats, runs around, climbs the cat tree, etc.
He HAS however had diarrhea a bit, but I think that's because we just introduced a few new brands of food into their diet since I'm trying to switch them off Merricks.

At what point should I consider taking him to the vet? He isn't sickly and the cats all had a round of a cat cold which they all bounced back from without needing vet assistance. Like I said, Charlie isn't -sick- he just has this small cough that he'll sit and cough out a few times then be fine the rest of the day.

sanfran_kitty_lady_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'd take him to the vet now. It could be nothing. However, cats are so good at hiding disease that by the time their behavior does indicate something, you might be dealing with something more serious (and larger vet bills if that's what's causing you to hesitate going to the vet). My personal strategy is to see the vet as soon as something changes. Most often they say, nothing is wrong but if this, this, or this happens/changes you need to bring your cat in. That leaves 1) feeling confident my kitty is okay and 2) what to look out for to start worrying.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's anything serious. If he just does it once or twice a day, I wouldn't bother with a vet visit just now. Keep an eye on him and take him in if it gets worse. Maybe it's just a dry throat? Do you have a humidifier? Also, it might be a precursor to bringing up a hairball. That often starts with a bit of a cough.

One of my cats sometimes coughs like this. The vet always pronounces him in excellent health despite it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'd take him to the vet now. It could be nothing. However, cats are so good at hiding disease that by the time their behavior does indicate something, you might be dealing with something more serious (and larger vet bills if that's what's causing you to hesitate going to the vet). My personal strategy is to see the vet as soon as something changes. Most often they say, nothing is wrong but if this, this, or this happens/changes you need to bring your cat in. That leaves 1) feeling confident my kitty is okay and 2) what to look out for to start worrying.
No, it's not money. Really it's more that it's a bit of a drive and it always stresses them out to go to the vet, so I try not to go unless we have to. Last time we took Charlie in, he was so scared he shivered and peed himself.

I don't think it's anything serious. If he just does it once or twice a day, I wouldn't bother with a vet visit just now. Keep an eye on him and take him in if it gets worse. Maybe it's just a dry throat? Do you have a humidifier? Also, it might be a precursor to bringing up a hairball. That often starts with a bit of a cough.

One of my cats sometimes coughs like this. The vet always pronounces him in excellent health despite it.
Hm. Maybe. The air has been cold here.
I don't think he's ever spit up a hair ball though, now that I think about it