Kitten Constipation bordering on MegaColon

Hunter6009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! 7 weeks ago a little orange feral kitty showed up at our doorstep freezing, starving, and looking pretty rough. We took him in, took him to the vet, and my other two cats think he’s pretty fun. Initially we thought we’d foster him until we found him a home but the last 3 weeks we’ve been dealing with some major GI issues and over $2000 this past week going back/forth to ER and the vet for obstipation. Both vets said he’s bordering on them diagnosing him with megacolon given how big his colon was both times (even after enema #1), but want to wait and see b/c it’s rare in young kittens and his blockage could have been a one time issue that just required two repeat enemas. Time will tell.

My questions:
1) how long after an enema is normal to have diarrhea? We continued the probiotics, lactulose, and Miralax this AM, but we may back off the Miralax b/c he’s in the litter box every 45 minutes with diarrhea. It is everywhere and I don’t think I can keep giving him a booty bath without constantly irritating the area. Such a Catch-22.

2) his bottom is definitely in pain. I’m using Vaseline but he just keeps licking it off, having another bout of diarrhea, and we’re back at square one. Any tips?

3) assuming we can get this under control, anyone have experience finding a home for a foster you took in when they might have special needs? As much as we think he’s great, we never wanted 3 cats and feeding him life-long wet food, and my others dry, long-term when we travel quite a bit for work is not something we want to try to navigate. He’s also terrified of my teenage son, so a quiet non-bustling, non-travel heavy home and someone that can navigate his dietary/medical needs is important. Any advice?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For finding a home,if in us or canada,join the next door app. There are people that will take a cat that needs help. Others will add imore info . I'm not familiar with his medical issue. It might be best to ask the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hunter6009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! It’s a more common condition in older male cats, but can and has been seen in kittens especially if there have an unknown deformity. Basically the lower bowel stops all motility and stool just sits and goes nowhere. :(. Hoping he doesn't have that b/c you’re eventually left with surgery or euthanasia if medications and diet fail. We see the vet again Monday but their response to my questions on Friday were “we really don’t know. You can try and see?” It’s more of a “tinker” with the dosage ranges/meds until he’s solid, but not constipated but not the opposite and all diarrhea. Yesterday was definitely all diarrhea!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search results for megacolon. There may be some information here which might be helpful.
Search Results for Query: megacolon

Ask your vet if the combination of the probiotic, Lactulose, and Miralax is too much for him. Also ask if there are any products that might be more effective for his bottom. He may need something that might be more healing, along with protective.