Kitten constantly trilling and mrping while playing

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Our kitten is almost 6 months, and we’re still figuring out her quirks and how she likes to play/communicate. One thing I’ve noticed, and I’ve never known another cat to do this, but she will constantly trill, mrrrrp and meow when playing. My concern is that she’s trying to say she’s frustrated? or doesn’t like this game?

Sometimes she will play until she is exhausted but she’ll still trill and it seems like she’s still wanting to keep being active but is too tired, and she will loudly trill/meow.

I’ve be taken a video and hopefully the link below will work. Can anyone tell if she’s just having fun or if she’s frustrated?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't hear any trills or noises in the video. Some cats make those noises when they're having fun or want to get your attention. ("Mom!!! Look at this cool toy!!! I bet I can catch it this time!!"). It's normal so don't worry about it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounded pretty normal to me, some cats just express themselves more. I think she is super excited about playing and can't help herself. If she is eating/drinking/using the litterbox OK, she is fine. Is she talkative other times, like at dinner time? you also may hear a strange 'chattering' coming from her when she is intently staring at potential prey, like a bird out the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much! I’m a bit of an over worrying cat mum 🙈

She makes those little mrrps all the time, whenever she jumps up on something, whenever she walks, runs, gets up, lies down - everything must just be so exciting- bless her 😂

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds engaged with her playtime. Trilling seems to indicate interest or desire. One of my cats trills a lot. Generally, it's a happy trill, but she will run ahead of me and will trill, often looking back. That's a sign she wants me to follow. The other two will trill, but not as much and most often, it's to get me to pet them. They also do the "follow me" trill.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! I’m a bit of an over worrying cat mum 🙈

She makes those little mrrps all the time, whenever she jumps up on something, whenever she walks, runs, gets up, lies down - everything must just be so exciting- bless her 😂
My kitty always lets out a mrrp when she jumps up onto something. It's too precious! And while she doesn't trill quite so fluently as yours, she does make little meeps and squeaks when she gets really excited and wants to play.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Momma cats trill to get their kittens to follow them. The only other time they trill is to humans.

Belle will trill when she’s pacing restlessly about the house or when she’s got the rips. She’s trills when she wants something from me, but I haven’t figured out what that is. Maybe it’s a baby sister

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was doing some googling and found this. My cat is 2.5 years old and we got a young cat for him to take the burden off my senior and omg he kept me up all night BRRRRRRR ing with the young cat trampling around. He has done this since he learned to walk at 3 weeks old he would bolt the best his tiny baby legs could take him, fall over and do it again. My husband calls him a racecar and I'm so glad he still does this all the time lol