Kitten Constantly Meowing

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, recently due to family issues (mum has to leave the country) I moved to my uncles place, my uncle has a newborn so I can't let my 11week old kitten run around as freely and I have to leave her in a room (I know why she is meowing), this is a lot of bad news together but the day we moved she was sick (vomiting and diarrhoea). Obviously I can't give her attention all day but I try to let her out and run around the house every few hours or just let her be in the same room as me for some time (She can't be in the same room as me for very long) but is it bad for me to just leave her meowing in the room? because every time I go to check on her or let her our I give her like at least 30min ~ 1hour with me, but when I put her back she'll just nonstop meowing. So it's mainly just should I ignore her?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is she?

Young kittens do need a lot of social interaction. Is it possible to get her a companion? For mental and physical stimulation. Especially if you plan to keep this situation like it is for very long, it might be in all your best interest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is she?

Young kittens do need a lot of social interaction. Is it possible to get her a companion? For mental and physical stimulation. Especially if you plan to keep this situation like it is for very long, it might be in all your best interest.
11 weeks, this will last for about a month she cries sadly it seems and no it's not possible to get a companion, I'm trying to give her as much attention as possible but was wondering if it could have any serious consequences if I do ignore her thanks I usually stay with her when she eats and play with her for at least 3 hours throughout the day

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh? What the heck are you afraid an 11 week old kitten going to do to a baby? Cats don't suffocate babies, that is a myth. Besides, the newborn is in a crib right? You have to monitor a newborn anyway, no reason you can't let the kitten out.

Maybe your uncle has some irrational attitudes and your stuck, but I don't see how one thing has anything to do with the other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Huh? What the heck are you afraid an 11 week old kitten going to do to a baby? Cats don't suffocate babies, that is a myth. Besides, the newborn is in a crib right? You have to monitor a newborn anyway, no reason you can't let the kitten out.

Maybe your uncle has some irrational attitudes and your stuck, but I don't see how one thing has anything to do with the other.
The newborn recently got a allergic reaction so everyone wants to be safe around him (this is his 2nd child lets not talk more) and the whole house hasn’t been kitten proof enough it’s just too big she tends to hide around a lot or just sleep behind things so it would be difficult to find her hence I came to the conclusion of letting out every once in a while when I can follow her and let her free :/ I don’t want to do this at all but it has to happen sadly

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is bored. It isn't a fatal condition. Eventually, kitten gets older, usually fatter, definitely lazier, and is mostly ok just lying around doing nothing except sleeping and getting petted now and then. Doesn't make it ok, but what are you gonna do, your in a tough spot. If you are looking to us for a magical solution, I'm afraid we aren't going to have one. Try and make as much time for the kitten as you can, and see if you can work on your uncle. Especially if the baby isn't specifically allergic to the kitten and just had a reaction to an unspecified something.

Edit: You could think about indoor/outdoor when the kitten gets a bit older if your uncle lives in a suitable area for it. But that is a couple of months away even if the area is ok for it.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do think 3 hours a day is nowhere near enough. I got my kitten at 13 weeks and, for months, the wanted around the clock attention. Please find a way to make the house accessible to her, to rehome her or to find a companion. That's just my advice though.