Kitten compulsvely licking me

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since Izzy (5 months) got home from being spayed, she compulsively licks my hands and arms. I mean any time she is near me, she's licking them.

Does any one know why she would have started this, and how to discourage it gently?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she may be comforting herself by grooming the person she loves. 

But it will help her feel comforted.  We have a cat with a chronic ear condition.  I can tell when it is time to take her back to the vet for treatment when she begins to groom me.  It is her way of dealing with the discomfort.

Make sure a health condition has been ruled out for your cat (could she still be hurting a bit from the spay?).   I know it can be uncomfortable but if you can stand it, allow her to groom you for short periods. (I know - their tongues are like sandpaper!)

It may not be health or pain related - just something she feels the need to do occasionally.  But check that out ...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the grooming hasn't stopped I think it is just her being loving and I'm okay with that. But sometimes the licking turns to chewing and I see that as a problem. It doesn't hurt now but it will as she grows. Has anyone experienced this? She only five months and I want to nip this in the bud? What's the best way to discourage her from chewing on my fingers and feet?

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When she starts the chewing say 'No' or 'Ouch' in a very sharp voice don't yell that will frighten her just be very firm with her. Try and redirect the biting by pulling out for her to pounce and gnaw on. Lilly my lovely little BLH tuxedo girl has a thing for grooming me and my daughter and occasionally my hubby but she has to get him while he's sleepy so he doesn't complain. Lilly like your lil guy went through a stage of nibbling mainly on me and I always though it may be because she was weaned to early because her Dam was mated again while she was nursing Lilly and her litter mates which she got sick of and pushed them away could he have been weaned early?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try hissing lightly at her when the teeth come out. This is how her mother and siblings would teach her the boundaries.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely going to try the hissing thing. She seems to get it when Zoey hisses at her for being annoying.

I'm not sure if she was weaned to early. I would think no, because she was still living with her mother when i adopted her at 4 1/2 months. I mean she was obviously already eating kibble, but I haven't any idea when she was weaned.

clairerosean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Paw friends..
coco

But what worries me, when i'm covered all-over, she'd start licking even the blanket. I feel pity for her licking the blanket and (kind of worried) she'd licked everything that is attached on the blanket (perhaps my hair, her fur and pillow threads etc) that might be hazard to her tummy... but at the same time, my skin hurts that even though i'd let her do it on me, I just can't anymore coz it is hurting me. As I mentioned, it is not always - perhaps twice a week the most. But when she do it, I tell you, it is so extreme. I hope her behaviour is still normal..

redrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me too.  One of my cats Boots was my husband's favorite cat.  She's about 5 years old and looks scrawny and kitten-like.   Since he passed away, she just doesn't stop licking.  I cover up, she'll find a skin patch and keep licking.  Her tongue is so much like sandpaper it sometimes hurts when she licks.  She's a crybaby, cry, cry, cry.  She's got 4 playmates, all the toys in the world, and I'm always picking her up to pet her which sometimes stop the crying.  She's driving me crazy. Is there anything else I can do to comfort her?  I do work part time and am out of the house where she is an indoor kitty.  Any advice is appreciated.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohhh I just couldn't handle the licking... I would tell Min..."no kisses" and gently start distracting her by rubbing her head or something... The night before we put her down she started licking my arm and I took a video and just let it happen... I was cringing, but knew....bless her heart...it would be the last time she'd get to try it.

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy tigger will lick any skin that is not covered under a blanket he will lick me in the morning to wake me up to feed him some times he will lick me when I am brushing him or when he is on my lap.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh not to mention the lick that goes right in the mouth when you're sleeping and they want you up...NOW ;)

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty (who used to be Izzy) but became Luna...she's never quit the licking almost at a year now. I let it happen until i get too annoyed and then cover the skin. she mostly goes for my hands or feet though

gverdugo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had a few cats that were compulsive lickers, where they'd lick parts of their fur bald. A trip to the vet either uncovered an allergy, or some other issue that they were able to treat. Usually the vets could resolve the problem, at least in our case.