Kitten Coloring Question

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, a rescue, just had a litter of kittens and they're coloring is so odd. They're roots I guess you'd call it is dark, or regular colored, and ends are white. It's just I'm curious about it all and am wondering if anyone can explain why they are like that to me, what this coloring is called and if it's just a baby kitten thing or will they look like this as adults? Thanks in advance. Mom kitty, Pansy, is a long haired dilute torbie. Dad is...well unknown. Here is a pic of the babies and a pic of the darkest one to get an idea of what they all look like with the dark roots and light ends.

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe it is just because they are so "new", and so precious! The orange kitties look like tabby kittens to me, the grey babies may end up all grey or tabby too. You mentioned Mom was a dilute torbie, I did a quick search and the dilute torbie cats I saw look like they have a combo of orange white and grey so that maybe why and of course Dad factors in too. I am sure their coats will change as they get older. I hope you post pics as they do :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I thought that it might be a growing thing but I've taken in a lot if kittens and pregnant cats before and never seen this coloring happen that's why I thought I'd ask. Well time will tell. I hope they stay this way, colorwise, it's just so interesting. Thank you for the reply. :)

And of course I will they are just to cute not to show off. Lol.

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are tabbies from what I can tell one is a torbie and another might be a colorpoint. All look like they will be long haired just like Pansy. I'm going to try to get a better picture of her and post it when I do. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The whitest of them is probably a color-point - you will see  for sure in one week or two.

The darkest one, whom looks as a dark colorpoint (visible on the pic with mom), it may be a fever coat.  It will go over with time, without negative consequences.
Here is a pic of Pansy with her babies.

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I suppose so they are all definitely getting darker. I figured they would grow out of it. I just wanted to ask cause I've never seen anything like it before. I've looked up fever coat and there isn't much info on it beyond this site. It's really interesting though cause it was late at night when they were born and it wasn't hot in the house really at all then or since then and they weren't sick or anything obviously cause the came out like that. So I wonder how this happened?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yea I suppose so they are all definitely getting darker. I figured they would grow out of it. I just wanted to ask cause I've never seen anything like it before. I've looked up fever coat and there isn't much info on it beyond this site. It's really interesting though cause it was late at night when they were born and it wasn't hot in the house really at all then or since then and they weren't sick or anything obviously cause the came out like that. So I wonder how this happened?
The mom could have some infection or fever, while they were in the vomb.  That is prob the most common for fever coat.

Are the whites darkening over the body, or just over the pointed out parts of the body?    A typical  point "siamese-mix"  will remain fair on the body, * but get darker points...    *actually that is not entirely truth.  If they also have another pattern, alike tabby, they may get some of the tabby pattern on the body...  And typically, the masque will be a tabby one.   But the bodys basic coloration will still be this fair coloration, at least on the young ones.

"Black=seal" points tends to become darker with age, in adulthood and senior citizen years.  

There is another possibility, a mix of siamese and burmese point genes - these kittens will darken up quicker over the whole body...

But this is rare - not totally unique once you learn to recognize it, but rare.

The third variation is the fever coat, whom looks alike born with a dark point coloring, but its not any true point.  No genes here, just some fever.

So one of the greys has surely it, possibly both...

Therefore not said they may even BE true greys, the color is with their mom, so someone of the kittens almost should be grey - or possibly black.

Last edited:

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I know Pansy's mom was Burmese looking but as far as I was told was a siamese mix. All the light ones were born white. Though only one stayed white. Now she is getting color on her tail and ears. Faint but it's there. I think she is going to be a flame colorpoint from the looks but she may end up tan like the others it's just taking a little longer. So I got 3 tan, 2 grey one a tabby the other a torbie and one possible colorpoint or another tan. 4 boys, 2 girls. All to cute! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well I know Pansy's mom was Burmese looking but as far as I was told was a siamese mix. All the light ones were born white. Though only one stayed white. Now she is getting color on her tail and ears. Faint but it's there. I think she is going to be a flame colorpoint from the looks but she may end up tan like the others it's just taking a little longer. So I got 3 tan, 2 grey one a tabby the other a torbie and one possible colorpoint or another tan. 4 boys, 2 girls. All to cute!
Sounds almost as grandma was such a siamese/burmese point gene mix.

Anyway, I hope you will send pics on the kittens when they are a little older, so we will see.

Use the same this thread.

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! Everybodies eyes are open and the are starting to crawl around. :)) Its SO adorable. Though the little white kitten whom is also the runt is very small compared to the rest I started her on KMR mixed with pedialyte once a day at night just to give her a little boost. I was afraid for a few days that she wasn't going to make it but she has since been doing really well though she still is quite small comparing to her rather large siblings. The other girl, torbie, has got an infection in her right eye but I've been putting ointment on it and thankfully it has not spread to the other eye or to any of the others kittens. They're coloring is getting darker though it is very noticable still.

Little white girl kitten. Looks days younger then the others but she's doing well. She's definitely a fighter.

rinn92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AWWWE! They are so cute! I would watch them all day long :catguy:
Thank you. I tend to all the time. Pansy had them right by my livingroom couch so whenever I'm sitting and watching tv I tend to lean over the couch arm to check on them or just stare at them. :)