Kitten Collars and Tags

oreosmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We recently got two beautiful kittens that are just four months old.   They will be indoor only cats.  Our cats are microchipped. Currently we have a Safe-Cat break-away kitten collar for them.  The collars are tolerated well.  Then we tried putting a tag on their collars, but the kitties try to get the collar off and one of them got the tag stuck in his teeth.   Do any of you have suggestions about how to get them them used to a tag?    Is this a common problem with kittens?

Need advise,

Oreo's Mom

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats in the wild are silent hunters so that means that they are not used to the noise following them around. Try and get a smaller tag or you can buy them a collar with a bell on it, so they can get used to the noise and weight. My cat hated her collar so I just got her a lighter one and she seemed to like it. My suggestion is try switching to a lighter collar or one with a bell. ( and loosen up the collar so it doesn't choke or hang down.) If tags just don't work, you can get a custom made collar with their name and your phone number and address printed on the collar. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat used his tag to remove his collar (and destroy it) so many times that I got him a slide-on tag. Two brands are Boomerang (U.S., but will ship worldwide) and Indigo (UK, will ship to other EU countries). In both cases, the "mini" tag is for cats.
I've reviewed both of them: Boomerang Mini Collar Tag
Indigo Mini Engraved Collar Tags

and you can look through the Reviews section for other possible solutions.

Last edited: