Kitten Collar Too Loose

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my kitten is now 9 weeks old, she's still quite small so she tends to hide around the house a lot making it difficult for us to know where she is, we thought she managed to escape last night because we couldn't find her or hear her move. That's why today we purchased a cat collar with a bell and put it on her but found out the collar was too loose and she can just take it off after some struggling... We kept putting the collar back on her hoping that she'll end up just leaving it lol but she somehow ended up getting on of her front leg through it so the collar is now slanted like a seat belt over her neck and one of her front leg, the size now is perfect and doesn't has a 2 finger loose fit, doesn't seem like she's annoyed by the fact it's like that but just to be safe I was wondering if it's ok to leave it like that. Thanks haha better safe then sorry :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I fully understand the desire to keep a collar on a kitten for the bell. I think that was the main motivator with getting collars on my kittens in the past too. My concern though would be three fold. First, with how little she is the breakaway functionality of the collar won't work properly. She doesn't have enough weight to cause the clasp to unlatch or stretch the collar enough if caught on something. The second is related, that with it around her like that it is more likely to get caught on something. I can just see her getting caught on a spring or nail sticking out under a couch and panicking. Third, if she can get it around her leg like that she can get it back around again, the last thing you need is her deciding it is a fun toy and ending up with it stuck in her mouth. Trust me, a panicked kitten (or cat) running around with a collar stuck in their mouth is not fun at all.

Kittens at that ago grow so quickly. The best thing to do is wait for her to actually fit the collar which will be fairly soon with how quickly kittens grow.