Kitten Climbing Us

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have adopted one of our foster kittens who has a tendency to climb my husband and I when she wants anything basically and no amount of redirecting has helped. Does anyone have advice to prevent her from climbing us?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any tall scratching posts or cat trees?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiss at him and tap his nose. Something a mom cat might do to displace a kitten. Keep us updated!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both times I had litters of kittens they climbed up me to get to food I was preparing, luckily they grew out of it, eventually. It seemed like once they were too big to easily climb up pant legs (pants sliding down under their weight) they got the idea that it doesn't work. If feeding time is the issue could you try putting her in another room while you prepare it and then let her out? Once she stops being able to do it before meals it could break the habit.

Also try to redirect her to a cat tree or something high enough that you can pet her, face to face if possible. They generally climb to get on a more even level with your face or at least your hands. If you can, teach her that going to her high spot gets attention, you may have to pick her up a few times and put her there at first though. Or when she goes to climb you, ignore her as you walk over to and encourage her to climb the cat tree (or whatever you are using) instead

If you are talking about even when you are sitting maybe try redirecting to someplace she can sit close by. If she is climbing your legs, for example, to get on the couch try putting something next to the couch she can jump on if the couch is too high for her to easily jump onto.

I don't know how long you have tried, but it takes most cats a solid 2 weeks, as in 14 days, of consistent redirecting to learn. If either of you allow the kitten to climb you even once, you have to expect to start back at day one of the 14 days.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfect time to start clipping their nails. It makes it more difficult as their body weight continues upwards, and gives you a little time to be able to grab them and and set them somewhere else. It's usually a phase.
When they get bigger they either just stand up next to you tap you on the thigh to get your attention, or just jump onto the nearest surface. Then you get to decide what you want to do with those behaviors.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is the kitten? I think once she gets older/bigger she no longer will be able to climb you and your husband. However, that doesn't mean someday when you're getting her food ready, you won't be "surprised" by the lovely feeling of cat claws digging in your leg. So maybe start getting her used to getting her claws trimmed now.

And get some tall cat scratchers for her. I just recently bought my Ruby this one, and she loves it.

Whisker City® Cat Scratching Post | cat Scratchers | PetSmart

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately, kittens outgrow that behavior. How old is she? Mowgli was 9 months old when we got him and practically shredded my legs when I was getting his food ready. I used clicker training (check out YouTube for tips on cat clicker training) to teach him to sit on command. That worked wonders. You could teach her to jump up on a chair, window sill, cat tree, etc, where she can see what you're doing rather than climbing you.
Clicker Training For Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for all the advice. We do have several cat trees for them to scratch and she’s only about 2 months old right now. I’ve been trying to get her to stop since we finished bottle feeding a little over a month ago. I tried those claw caps and she got them all off. I will try clipping her nails. They’re just so tiny I’m nervous about doing that.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you guys for all the advice. We do have several cat trees for them to scratch and she’s only about 2 months old right now. I’ve been trying to get her to stop since we finished bottle feeding a little over a month ago. I tried those claw caps and she got them all off. I will try clipping her nails. They’re just so tiny I’m nervous about doing that.
You could also get her nails trimmed at your vet’s, or the groomer.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is just trying to get near you. We just worn blue jeans until that phase passed. The next one was jumping on tables. Always something exciting and new and most of it is about getting close to you.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeans. And she'll stop doing that as she gets a little older.