Kitten Chewing Cords

AmandaPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do or a product #that works really well to deter my kitten from chewing charging cords?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they have things that you can put over cords. Some people won't agree with this, but I used a bicycle type horn and honked it when they clawed and tried to chew cords. I made sure they knew by the tone of my voice that they were never, ever, ever to mess with cords. They learned really quickly. It's just too dangerous and could cause a fire, so I found it easier to just train them to stay away from cords.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that chewed, and ate through any thick electrical cords in the house, despite getting shocked several times. You can purchase cord covers but they are thick and expensive if you need quite a few. I went instead with clear plastic tubing you can buy by the foot at hardware stores. You just slit it lengthwise with a box knife and push your cords into it. I also tried to keep most cords blocked by furniture so she couldn't get to them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a recent thread about this: Chew Toy Recommendations?

Cats often chew out of boredom. Teething kittens will also chew on whatever they can. Play with your kitten often and provide safe things to chew on. Cover cords up as much as you can. Clear tubing for aquariums or the larger diameter thicker ones from the hardware store work. Some kittens may still persist, though. In my Aby's case, what finally stopped him from chewing on cords was getting another cat to play with. Another cat may not be an option for everyone.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been using the paper towel tubes for my cords. It stopped the chewing of the cords themselves, and now the kittens are going for the surge protectors where everything plugs into.
I will let you know if I ever get that one figured out.
For now, I've been scruffing them, telling them 'no' and re-directing them with a toy. It's amazing how tunnel visioned they are when it comes to cords.