Kitten Check Up

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My Friends
I will be bringing my tiny kitten Ginger home in a couple weeks. And was thinking I should probably take her to the vet for a check up. I am concerned about cat leukemia. She will have her vaccinations when she comes home. I had a terrible experience with my last kitten Penny. She was only about four months old when she died of an upper respiratory infection. I still have a difficult time talking about her. I feel terrible about her death as I didn't notice she was sick until it was too late. I really want to take all the precautions with Ginger that I can. What would you recommend.
Your Friend
Jack

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you getting your kitten from, and how old will she be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My Friends
Ginger will be coming from the local cat rescue folks. They will be giving her vaccinations, but no screening for cat leukemia. I think she will be eight weeks old when brought home.
Jack

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a check up with your own vet is wise when bringing a new animal home. You will want to check with your vet about false positives if your cat has been vaccinated for certain things, though. Be sure to get a thorough list of vaccines from the rescue.

Will she be spayed already?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack B

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello My Friends
Thanks for the tip about the false positives. I will be sure to get a list of the vaccines . I have already paid for her to be spayed but will have that done a bit later, when she is three or four months old. What would be the ideal age to have this done?
Jack